Winter Necessities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.
In the past, I’ve often complained about the approach of the winter months. After afew bad experiences of being unprepared for winter weather, I began to hate the cold and everything that went along with it. However, this year I’ve decided to change my attitude and accept that the cold is inevitable. While I may not be able to transform a cold, dreary day into a sunny one, I can control my own circumstances by having the right gear. Owning the right products and clothes can make a marathon of cold days bearable. Here is a list of my winter necessities:

1. Vaseline Essential Moisture Lotion
This lotion is by far the best way to prevent horrible dry skin, which often accompanies the cold weather. I always dreaded winter because my hands would become dry and irritated. However, using this lotion on my hands and legs made my skin smooth and eliminated my problems.

2. ChapStick
Chapped lips are the bane of my existence during the winter. It’s hard to avoid dry, cracked lips though, especially if you frequently have to be outdoors in the winter months. The classic brand ChapStick is the best way that I’ve found to combat this problem. No other product moisturizes my lips as well. Plus, it now comes in great flavors like pumpkin pie, candy cane, and cake batter. Along with classics like grape and strawberry, there are even medicated and sunblock versions.

3. Heeled Boots
Having the proper shoes is essential to surviving winter. Owning a great pair of boots can be the difference between keeping your feet warm and cozy or suffering all day from the cold. I love heeled boots because they are so versatile: you can wear them for everyday outfits or dress them up for going out.

4. Cute Headbands
While everyone knows to wear a coat when the temperature drops, many people forget to buy the proper gear to keep their head warm. Wearing thick headbands is a great way to stay cozy while still looking fashionable. The ones in vibrant colors are my favorite; they can brighten up any dreary day.

5. A long coat

A classic trench coat is a winter fashion must-have. It can make your look more sophisticated and keep you warm during the walk to class or during a fancy date. Purchasing one in color like black or brown can make this piece work for any winter outfit.

6. The movie Frozen
Okay, so this won’t actually keep you warm during the winter, but it can definitely change the way you think about the season. It’s impossible to hate the cold while singing along with Elsa, Anna, and Olaf. If the cold doesn’t bother them, I’m not going to let it get me down. If you hate the cold as much as I do, try purchasing these products to improve the way you feel about winter.

Freshman at Duke University! I love my friends, running, buying things I can't afford, and watching Gossip Girl.