Why Hannah Montana is Relevant to Your Life at Duke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Miley Cyrus may have left her alter ego behind as she crashed into a new stage of life like a wrecking ball, but little Hannah Montana had songs that are all too relevant to your life at Duke. Check out this special college edition Hannah Montana playlist, compiled just for you!

Track 1: Life’s What You Make It

Here at Duke, we may sometimes be short on Flex money or food points, or points on our exams, but we are never short on opportunities. There are so many ways to take advantage of all that Duke has to offer and to make the experience your own. Maybe you get a grade you’re not happy with, or you don’t get that internship you applied for, or you find out your gorgeous lab partner has a girlfriend, but there’s no reason for that to bring down your whole day. I’m not one for clichés, but Hannah has the right idea here; attitude is what it’s all about. There are way too many amazing opportunities here to let some exam woes or romance troubles bring you down.  Instead, turn your frustration into motivation and your defeat into inspiration, and make it rock.

Track 2: Rockstar

I hope you know by now that you’re a rockstar. You’ve made it here and you’ve stuck it out this far. But more than that, you’re a rockstar on stage with the next generation of Bon Jovi’s and Mick Jagger’s. So while your immersed in your own music, don’t forget to check out the amazing talent all around you. We have incredible athletes (yes, there are sports here other than basketball!) and acapella groups full of lovely ladies and charming young men. We have dancers, writers, engineers, leaders, artists, innovators, and some really nice, funny, intelligent, and compassionate people. You’re living right alongside them, so don’t miss the opportunity to hear what these rockstars are about. Also get the autographs of everyone you can in case they are famous one day. That definitely wouldn’t be weird.

Track 3: Nobody’s Perfect

In this world of rockstars, it may feel like you could hear that phrase, roll your eyes, and think, yes, actually, some people are perfect. There do seem to be people here who just do it all. They are on top of their intense class schedule, they rehearse music for their group nightly, they go to they gym every single day, they work more hours a week than they sleep, but they still look cute for class, and they don’t even indulge in an extra cookie after dinner. But once again, Hannah says it best: “everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days.” Just trust her on this one. Like that girl who seems like she’s got it all together? She just spilled tomato sauce on her shirt and she forgot her Tide-to-go.

Hope you enjoyed this throwback playlist, and remember, Duke may feel like it’s the climb, but we can’t stop. Our inner rockstars can’t be tamed.