This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Among children 8 – 10 years old, 50% are dissatisfied with their body size.1

80% of US women do not like how they look.1

Girls’ self-esteem peaks when they are 9 years old.2

7 in 10 girls believe they are not good enough or do not measure up in some way including their looks, performance in school and relationships.2

In November, Duke unveiled the WHO SPEAKS campaign, where the Women’s Housing Option (WHO) teamed up with photographer Ashley Tsai to take a stand against negative body image and to facilitate dialogue about women’s experiences. How did they do it? By painting the bodies of WHO members with comments they have actually received, comments that have impacted them and their self-image. With this powerful campaign, WHO aims to encourage conversation across campus (and beyond) about the impact of unattainable bodily ideals that exist today.

Personally, I feel that this image is one of their most powerful:

It captures the daily reality that girls face, the societal pressure and judgment they experience, and the emphasis they, and others, place on their perceived “flaws”. No two bodies are exactly alike, nor should they be. Until we get rid of the pressure that the media, others and even we place on ourselves to measure up to these idealized body types and features, we will keep battling these unfair standards.

And as the WHO SPEAKS photos demonstrate, the judgment and dissatisfaction with body image goes both ways:

Just as those who weigh more than the “ideal” face criticism and negative assessments…

…so do those who are naturally thin (as they are often accused of having eating disorders).

Sure, you can argue that the world has always been like this, that there have always been impossible standards of beauty. That doesn’t make it right, nor does it mean that we should not try to change it.

Consider these questions:

Why do women feel pressured to aspire to unrealistic and often harmful bodily ideals in the first place?

Where do our ideas about our appearance come from?

When did we start believing them?

How are we affected by these pressures on a daily basis? Who fits the ideal? What are the consequences if we don’t?

Then, visit the campaign’s tumblr, Facebook page, and banner in the Bryan Center, and join the conversation.

Statistics sources:

1, 2

Photo sources:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Victoria Scott is a junior and English major at Duke University. On campus, she is an Editor and Photo-blogger for Her Campus, Managing Editor for The Chanticleer (the university yearbook), photographer and Copy Editor for DMIX Magazine, and a Resident Assistant. In her spare time, she enjoys baking cupcakes and playing tennis.
Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).