What We Can All Learn From Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

If you have not seen TLC’s Here Comes Honey Boo Boo you should probably open a new page in your browser and google it. To put it simply: it cannot be explained. I first encountered Honey Boo Boo this August on a late-night TV bender. I had no idea what I was in for. The show stems from TLC’s original Toddlers in Tiaras – a reality show documenting the lives (and atrocities) of the children in the beauty pageant world. Honey Boo Boo (otherwise known as Alana) is … different. She began her television career on Toddlers in Tiaras but was quickly recognized as something special and given her own reality TV show. Alana is from McIntyre, Georgia and could be considered something of a redneck (this is self-declared with a fair amount of pride, mind you). Her family consists of three older sisters, her parents, and a pet pig. Honey Boo Boo takes the title of being the most tenacious seven-year old you will ever see, expressing herself with phrases like: “you better redneckognize” and “I’m the queen of all.” In the pageant world, her lack of formalities and basic manners make her a rather bizarre competitor, but I believe that despite her squealing pig of a pet, somewhat disgusting eating habits, and disregard for appropriate etiquette, she may actually have something to teach us…

1. Honey Boo Boo is not afraid of what other people think. In a world defined by stick-thin models and cookie-cutter smiles, Honey Boo Boo finds the confidence to sport her pageant dress with pride. I do not mean to disregard the health implications of being overweight, especially as a child, but I do believe it is important for all girls to have the confidence to walk on stage and be themselves. Nobody can deny that Honey Boo Boo is always herself.

2. Honey Boo Boo knows how to work her assets. The pageant world is primarily based on beauty and presentation (hence the title). Alana may not look or act like your typical beauty queen, but she finds a way to work what she’s got. Her strong personality and sass make her unique – something she never fails to relay to the judges (and her viewers).

3. Honey Boo Boo loves her family. Despite their quirks, nobody can deny the fact that these people love one another. Granted, they tend to express it in rather interesting ways (cue inappropriately timed flatulence). Nevertheless, understanding the importance of family is something we can all appreciate.

4. Honey Boo Boo knows how to have fun. Seriously, her life looks awesome. She never takes anything too seriously and she gets back up when she falls down. Cheers to that.

So the next time your strolling down the quad or making your entrance at Shooters (she’d love Shooters – wouldn’t she?), find that inner sorta beauty queen that lives in all of us. Bring your sass and be yourself. Who knows, you might even end up with your own reality TV show.

Photo sources: 1 2

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.