This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Need a study break? A homemade gift for a friend’s birthday? Or maybe you’re just craving a delicious bite-size snack?  Truffles are the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth!  Here is a collection of some tasty and tempting versions of this treat!  Enjoy!

Outrageous Oreo Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1 (16 ounce) package OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided
  • 1 (8 ounce) package PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages BAKER’S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted (you can use white chocolate too!)

Directions:

1. Crush 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a re-sealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
  2. Dip balls in chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs.
  3. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.

Cravin’ Some Cookie Dough Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup toffee baking bits
  • 1 pound chocolate confectioners’ coating

Directions:

1. Beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add flour, alternately with sweetened condensed milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the chocolate chips and toffee bits; mixing just enough to evenly combine.
  2. Using a small cookie scoop, make 1-inch balls and place them on waxed paper lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
  3. Melt the chocolate coating in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, for 1 to 3 minutes (depending on your microwave). Do not overheat or coating will scorch. Dip the dough balls in the chocolate coating, allowing any excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and sprinkle the truffles with additional toffee pieces. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.

Rattle Your Taste Buds Red Velvet Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1 box red velvet cake mix and ingredients to make the cake
  • 1 can (16 ounce) prepared cream cheese frosting
  • 1 lb candy coating, white or dark chocolate
  • Sprinkles or small candies to decorate 

Directions:

1. Prepare and bake the red velvet cake mix according to the directions of the package for a 9×13 cake. Once baked, allow the cake to cool completely.
  2. Crumble the cake into a large bowl and work it with your hands until it is in small pieces. If desired, reserve a few spoonfuls of crumbs to use as decorative toppings on the finished truffles.
  3. Spoon three-fourths of the frosting into the bowl and stir with a rubber spatula until the mixture is well-combined. It should be very moist and hold together if you squeeze a ball of cake between your fingers, but not too wet or greasy. If the cake mixture is still a bit dry, add more frosting to get it to the desired consistency.
  4. Using a small cookie or candy scoop, scoop out small balls of cake and roll between your palms until they are round. Place the cakes balls on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil, and refrigerate them while you prepare the candy coating.
  5. Place the candy coating in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave it until melted, stirring after every 45 seconds to prevent overheating.
  6. Using dipping tools or a fork, submerge a cake ball in the melted candy coating. Remove it from the coating and drag the bottom across the lip of the bowl to remove excess coating. Replace the dipped truffle on the foil-covered baking sheet. If desired, top it with a sprinkle of cake crumbs, small candies, or other decorations while the coating is still wet. Repeat with remaining cake balls.
  7. Refrigerate the truffles to set the coating completely, about 20 minutes. These cake truffles are best served at room temperature, and can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Classy and Cute Cake Batter Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1½ cups flour
  • 1 cup yellow cake mix
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3-4 Tablespoons milk
  • 2 Tablespoons sprinkles

Truffle Coating:

• 16 ounces (8 squares) almond bark (or white candy melts)
  • 4 Tablespoons yellow cake mix
  • Sprinkles

Directions:

1. Beat together butter and sugar using an electric mixer until combined. Add cake mix, flour, salt, and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Add 3 Tablespoons of milk ormore if needed to make a dough consistency. Mix in sprinkles by hand. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment or wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Chill balls in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm up.
  2. While dough balls are chilling, melt almond bark in the microwave in 30-second intervals until melted. Stir between intervals. Once melted, quickly stir in cake mix until incorporated completely. Using a fork, dip truffles into almond bark and shake off excess bark by tapping the bottom of the fork on the side of your bowl. Place truffle back on the cookie sheet and top with sprinkles. Repeat with remaining balls until finished.
  3. Chill cake batter truffles in the refrigerator until serving. Makes around 24-30 truffles.

Peanut Butta Please, Peanut Butter Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1 lb powdered sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 10-12 graham cracker sheets
  • Dipping chocolate, melted

Directions:

1. Put graham crackers in a food processor or plastic bag and beat until they are finely crushed. Mix butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter, and graham crackers together in large bowl. Roll into 1-inch balls. Place rolled balls on large cookie sheet (I lined my cookie sheet with parchment paper) and stick in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
  2. In the meantime, melt dipping chocolate. Once the peanut butter balls have set up, dip in chocolate and place back on cookie sheet.
  3. Let them set up before serving/sharing with neighbors (but you can pop a few in your mouth just to test them and make sure they are safe to eat- it’s a chance that I am always willing to take).  Makes 6-7 dozen truffles.

Don’t You Want A Chubby Hubby Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1½ cups pretzel pieces
  • ½ cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable shortening

Directions:

1. Put the pretzel pieces into a re-sealable plastic bag and crush into very small bits (a rolling pin works great for this).
  2. In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and salt. Stir until all of the ingredients are completely blended and smooth. Add the pretzel bits to the peanut butter mixture and mix thoroughly. Add the powdered sugar and mix until completely combined.
  3. Line a small baking sheet with wax paper. Using a small cookie scoop, or about 2 teaspoons worth of peanut butter mixture, gently shape into a ball with your fingertips. Place the ball on the wax paper-lined cookie sheet and repeat with the remaining peanut butter mixture. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.
  4. When ready to dip the truffles, microwave the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening together in a small bowl at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth.
  5. Working one at a time, dip one peanut butter-pretzel ball into the melted chocolate and use a fork to roll it around, ensuring that it is completely coated with chocolate. Let any extra chocolate drip off and place back on the wax paper-lined sheet. Repeat with all of the peanut butter-pretzel balls.
  6. Return the baking sheet to the refrigerator and again chill for at least 30 minutes. Garnish with a drizzle of melted peanut butter and crushed pretzels, if desired. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Recipes and photos taken from:
http://www.allrecipes.com
http://candy.about.com/od/trufflerecipes/r/redvelvet.htm
http://www.chef-in-training.com
http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com
http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.