This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Alright, so you just took your first midterm and it’s – not looking so hot.  Instead of panicking and driving yourself to a sugar-ridden, TV-binging state of self-induced depression, here are some tips on what went wrong and how you can make your TA’s jaw drop (in happy surprise!) when they grade your next exam.

via. FreePik

1. You’re still procrastinating.

Yes, Duke students are smart, but that doesn’t mean they can write the perfect essay about nineteenth century imperialism off the tops of their heads, or know how to solve a Taylor series just by glancing at it.  Instead of cramming, take small steps throughout the week before the test to reinforce the information. 

via. Tes

2. You didn’t utilize your resources.

Namely, the TAs.  They’re there for a reason, just like the discussion sections, so stop skipping and STINFing them.  Even if you still decide to, shooting them a quick email about a confusing paragraph in the readings won’t kill you. 

3. You didn’t do those readings.

Or the problem sets, or peruse the Wall Street Journal like the professor said to.  If it is important enough for them to put it on the syllabus, then it is worth at least skimming through.  Taking quick notes or annotating while you’re at it goes a long way, as well.

via. Cloudfront

4.You’re still facing it all alone.

Group study is the best way to study.  Your point-of-view isn’t the only one, so hearing what your classmates have to say is an easy way to broaden your understanding of the complex topics, and if nothing else, it’s just a good way to make new friends because you already have an icebreaker.   

Duke Contributors!