This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Even though Stephen Zhu doesn’t like fortune cookies, don’t let that quirk fool you into thinking he has no Chinese characteristics or Asian pride. An Economics major, Stephen was born and raised in Maryland. From sitting on the DUU Freewater Presentations committee to bonding with his brothers in the business fraternity here at Duke, Alpha Kappa Psi, Stephen embraces a diverse set of interests and activities. But his most impressive dedication is to the Asian American Association.

As Duke’s Asian American Association’s (ASA) Vice President for Cultural Affairs, Stephen is completely in charge of one of this year’s largest and most exciting events: Lunar New Year (LNY). Lunar New Year is an important holiday traditionally celebrated in China, but recently has been celebrated in other various East Asian countries. Marking the end of the winter season, Lunar New Year, also known as “Spring Festival”, champions good fortune, good health, happiness and longevity. Typically large amounts of delicious Chinese food and traditional dances bring people together to honor and cherish family and friends. Now one of Duke’s largest productions, LNY showcases numerous campus dance troupes, a cappella groups, musicians, and more. With a ton to plan as well as a feat to organize, and as the face representing ASA during this program, Stephen is certainly pulling off what will be a spectacular show – not doubt granting him true campus celebrity status.

As a freshman, Stephen found ASA to be one of the more prominent groups featured on campus during the activities fair. The publicity allowed him to meet large numbers of new people and the group attracted many first years with their annual beach retreat. Over the course of four years, he has attended various ASA events, contributed to the large support system, and is now coordinating LNY.

First started at Duke in 1992, the Lunar New Year production was merely a banquet of good food that connected friends and fostered interesting conversation. After it gained momentum over the years, it evolved into a talent show featuring dance and music, so much so that it had to be moved from Von Canon to the bigger venue of Page auditorium. Stephen explains that LNY allows students to foster community, giving them “an opportunity for a lot of student groups to interact, maintain and create lasting traditions on campus, and to learn about Asian culture while doing so.” He emphasizes LNY’s “dual aspect” as a way for students to not only pursue larger social and philanthropic goals, but also to celebrate culture and diversity.

According to Stephen, Lunar New Year is not ASA’s only worthwhile facet. Upholding ever expanding social, political, cultural, and community goals, ASA proves to be a diverse organization. It has provided leadership and mentorship opportunities for freshmen, engaged with the triangle area in philanthropy, as well as the global community with projects like R.E.A.C.H, which is the charity that ASA sponsors. In addition to these endeavors, ASA holds open forums that discuss social and political issues that Asians and Asian Americans face today such as racism and stereotyping, collaborates with other student groups, and hosts various domestic and international Asian American student conferences.

Even though ASA boasts a high member affiliation, there are still a number of students who display hesitation. When asked why students aren’t willing to join ASA, Stephen replied that it’s most likely due to one of two reasons: either students come from backgrounds where Asians and Asian Americans were predominant and therefore they want to leave that environment to explore new ventures, or students may come from backgrounds where Asian culture was not prevalent and therefore do not want to join because they haven’t considered it, or want to but feel intimidated and uncomfortable. In combatting the first concern, Stephen stresses, “Each individual in ASA is extremely unique. Although we may unify under a common heritage, we all bring diverse personalities, qualities, and interests to the table.”

In his free time, Stephen enjoys playing video games and hanging out with friends. He also mentioned, “I love photography and am a proud owner of a Pentax DSLR and lens system.” When he gets the time, he likes to explore new restaurants in the triangle area, whilst never forgetting to order his favorite dessert: Chocolate lava cake a la mode.

After he graduates from Duke, Stephen plans on traveling throughout the summer before heading to Washington DC to work with Capitol One (where he recently just signed an offer!). He believes he had an edge in getting this job by being a brother of Alpha Kappa Psi because “the brotherhood was a great way for me to learn a lot of practical skills and advice for career and business and it provided me a way to build a lot of friendships with other incredible Duke students who were headed in the same path.”

What is Stephen’s favorite thing about Duke?
“Everyone has another side to them. You can’t ever make an assumption about someone you meet here because once you get to know him/her, you’ll discover a whole other dimension that will totally surprise you.”
– What wise words from a thoughtful senior!

I asked him what he would like to say as his parting words, and he exclaimed with a large smile on his face: “Everyone come to LNY! The show is on February 18th in Page auditorium. Purchase your tickets and t-shirts soon!”

You can check out the link for the show here: http://www.duke-asa.com/lny2012/

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).