Staying Safe In Durham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Something most Dukies have realized by now is, although Durham is a wonderful city to live in, it can be a little dangerous at night—for girls especially.  People have probably approached a lot of you during the day outside of Brueggers, Enzos, or Whole Foods, asking if you would buy them a sandwich.  That can be annoying, but it’s rarely dangerous.  However, it shows that random people are not afraid to approach you.  Being approached at night is a lot scarier and a lot more dangerous, and it does happen.

This semester, I’m taking a physical education class called “Self Defense for Women.”  I originally took this class for the easy half credit, but I’ve learned the value of knowing how to defend myself, especially in a city (even a small city like Durham).  Separate from the martial arts techniques we’re learning, specifically how to fight someone assaulting us, we’re also learning techniques for how to avoid the situation entirely.

Here are some ways to stay safe on the Durham streets at night:

1. Be aware of your surroundings: This sounds obvious, but if you’re walking around with your headphones in, looking at your iPod, you’re a prime target.
  2. Walk home with friends: Though you may want to leave a party earlier than your friends, it’s better to be miserable waiting around for them than it is to walk home alone.  If you have to leave alone, get a taxi or find someone who is willing to go with you.
  3. Yell: If someone tries to attack you, yell as loudly as you can.  If someone starts talking to you, yell at him to go away.  If you’re aggressive, you’re not worth it for him.  However, don’t yell “fire” or “rape.”  Studies have shown that yelling these words makes onlookers assume that the police will take care of it.
  4. Don’t go with someone to another location: If they have a gun, they probably don’t want to kill you in public.  If you go with them to another location, you’re as good as dead.
  5. Make eye contact: If someone gets close enough that you can look them directly in the eyes, do it.  It reminds them you’re a person, and it shows your confidence.
  6. Don’t rely on the police: The police usually show up after a crime, not during one.  You’re unlikely to be saved by them, so don’t rely on them to keep you safe.

Photo credit: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi…

Duke Contributors!