Start Off the New Semester Right! Tips for Becoming a Better Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s time for the start of a new semester, so what does that mean? It’s time to become a good student! Yea, yea, you say that every semester. We know. But, now we can help! Once and for all, get your life in check and start succeeding in your academics. It’s not hard!

Step 1: Get Organized
Organization is crucial if you want to do well in your classes! If you can’t find your notebook, you can’t take notes! If you can’t take notes, you can’t study! If you don’t study, you won’t do well on the exam! Do you see where we’re going with this?

So, head out to your nearest school supply store and buy some supplies! Notebooks and binders are great for classes- just make sure you have tons of paper so you can write down important information. Buy a planner! Write down your due dates and important meetings, as well as everyday homework, in this planner so that you never lose track of anything.

Step 2: Find a Place to Work
If you aren’t working in the proper location, you won’t get any work done! You can’t study in the coffee shop if all of your friends sit and chat all day long in there. If your roommate is distracting, you won’t be able to work in your room. Find a place that’s quiet and not busy so that you have minimal distractions, and then stay put! Just make sure it’s comfortable so that you won’t mind staying there for hours at a time.

Step 3: Go to Class (and when you get there, pay attention!)
When you get to class, do you immediately lurk in the back of the room and slump down low in your chair? Do you hope that the professor doesn’t see you video chatting, texting, or browsing Facebook for his entire lecture? Stop those habits! If you can’t pay attention because you’re too far away, move forward! If you’re sitting in the front of the class, chances are that you’ll be less inclined to fool around, because of a greater chance that your professor will see you.

If you’re sitting with your friends, and they consistently crack jokes and talk, move forward! Sit with strangers so that you aren’t tempted to have a conversation about last night’s wild party instead of listening to the lecture. You can always meet them after class and have the same conversations.

Step 4: Take Notes in Class
We know—your professor talks fast. It’s so hard to get your notes written down that sometimes you just give up. We know the feeling. If you’re allowed to, record the lecture on your computer, iPod, or an old fashioned tape recorder. Then, you can listen to the notes at a later point in time and write down anything important.

If you aren’t allowed to use recording devices, here’s a great tip: only write down the important words. Don’t write down full sentences; use bullets and numbers to organize important information. Just make sure you pay attention to his lecture so that you don’t write the same thing down over and over again.

Step 5: Study!
We know it’s hard, but studying is the real key to success on exams. And we know you want to do well on your exams! Repetition is key. If you handwrite the notes in class, type them up later so that you read them one more time. Do the extra problems that weren’t in your math problem set. Re-read chapters in your textbook. Create a study guide of all the information that you learned.

Follow all these simple steps, and you’ve got this semester in the bag already! Good luck!

Photo source: http://www.greenerhomedesigns.com/2008/10/eco-friendly-school-year.html

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.