Spookify your Sweet Treats!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Why do we love Halloween? The costumes? The parties? No, it’s the candy, the chocolate, and basically anything worth a cavity! The gym is a no-go on the 31st. Don’t kid yourself. What is the point with Halloween that night anyway? Instead, prepare these hauntingly heavenly treats for any pick-me-up or late night! You will be baking with the extra BOO factor!

1. Puppy Chow

One of my favorite snacks of all time, puppy chow is both delicious and readily available (all the ingredients can be found at any general store around campus). For those of you who do not know how to make puppy chow, you are in luck! Melt ½ cup of peanut butter, ¼ cup of butter, and 1 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute. Once melted, stir the mixture thoroughly and add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract to the bowl. In a separate larger bowl, place 9 cups of Chex Mex cereal. Pour the chocolaty mix over the cereal and toss, making sure each piece of cereal is coated well. Take three cups of powdered sugar in a large plastic bag; pour the puppy chow into the bag and SHAKE! Keep shaking until the pieces have a good covering of powdered sugar. In light of the festivities, add candy corn, Halloween edition M&M’s and Reese’s Pieces!

2. Graveyard Brownies

Betty Crocker brownie mix is the best choice for these treats; the only other ingredients you need are one egg, oil and water. After approximately 30 minutes of prep and baking work, it’s time to create that eerie atmosphere. You will need a bag of Milano cookies, icing (preferably colored), regular candy corn and pumpkin shaped candy corn. Write “RIP” or “Boo” on the Milano cookies with the icing and stick them in lines into the now cooled brownies. Stick some candy corn pieces on the surface for that extra fall flavor!

3. Pumpkin Patch Rice Crispy Treats

Just like any rice crispy treat recipe but with a twist! Add orange food coloring to the mix and shape the treats into spherical balls instead of flattening the mixture into a brownie pan. Once they are done and cooled, use black icing to create little “carved-like” faces on each of the spheres. With green icing, add a stem to the top of each treat! So cute and equally as scrumptious!

4. Ghost Cupcakes

Whatever your taste in cupcakes, add some scary flair to them once they are out of the oven. Take a plastic bag and cut a small (but not too tiny) corner off of the bag. This is your piping tool. Put some Betty Crocker icing into the bag and create a little pyramid of icing on each cupcake. With black icing, add little eyes to each of the ghost-figures!

Photo Sources: 1 2 3