Six Stress Busting Tips for Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

When I was in high school, I convinced myself that doing my nails each night of finals week would help me relax so I would be more focused and better prepared for my next exam. As relaxing as this might have been, the plan slightly backfired during my biology final when I caught a glimpse of my freshly-polished fire-engine-red nails out of the corner of my eye and had a moment of panic that my fingers were bleeding (blame it on the lack of sleep?). Yeah, not one of my proudest moments. Also probably why I still never wear red nail polish. In my defense, I did well on the exam, but for my upcoming midterms, I’ll probably stick to some of the foolproof stress-busting tips listed below!

1. Exercise.
If you don’t feel like making the trek to Wilson, take a quick dance break. Blast some 90s tunes for a throwback to your childhood when your biggest stress came from choosing between *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys (BSB all the way!).

2. Have a snack.
Eat brain-boosting foods that are high in antioxidants and healthy fats like blueberries, strawberries, spinach, avocados, and yogurt. Loyo with strawberries and blueberries, anyone?

3. Socialize.
Take some time to unwind with friends. As nice as they might be, the librarians in Perkins shouldn’t be the only people you interact with during the next few weeks!

4. Take a break.
Step away from the computer for half an hour. Use this time to get some fresh air, catch up on your fave TV show, or even look at pictures of baby animals (Cute animals and increased productivity? What more could you want?)

5. Sleep.
Hands down, one of the hottest commodities on all college campuses. While some students choose to abandon a good night’s rest for the thrill of an all-nighter, sleeping will recharge your body so you can be even more productive and focused when you wake up. (And if you dream about baby animals while you sleep, even better!)

6. Practice productive study habits.
Get in the habit of planning ahead for exams, so you’re not forced to cram the night before. Stay organized: make lists and set deadlines for yourself. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it!

Good luck!

Image Source: 
1

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).