Romantic Tragedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Were you valentine-less this Valentines’ Day? Sick of movies where the girl gets the guy and they all live happily ever after? Trying not to be too much of a cynic? Here are some romance movies that will keep you in the Valentine’s Day mood without making you feel too lonely without a beau. Just like Rose couldn’t have her Jack, these couples’ love didn’t keep their story from ending in tragedy. Fair warning, though: you’ll want to keep the tissues close!

Tristan + Isolde
Trailer 

James Franco stars as Tristan, a brave warrior who is second in line to the British throne. Sophia Myles stars as Isolde, the beautiful daughter of the Irish king. As their countries are pitted against each other in war, will their love survive?

Never Let Me Go
Trailer

Based on Kazuo Ishiguro’s widely acclaimed novel, this film follows the lives of children who are clones, raised to in a world that is so like ours, and yet so different. In this chilling sci-fi setting, two characters find love in the most desperate of times, but it is still a love worth having.

The British Patient
Trailer

Told through a series of flashbacks, this film concentrates on Count Almásy in the time before and during World War II. It is a story of politics and betrayal, but also the healing power of love.

Titanic photo: http://www.anomalousmaterial.com/movies/2010/02/movie-review-titanic-1997/

Thumbnail photo: http://www.free-extras.com/search/1/broken+heart.htm

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.