This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

“No Doubt Oathout”. This is the catchy slogan that is being thrown around campus right now as we prepare to vote for the next President of Duke Student Government (DSG) on Thursday March 7th. 

Forget Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney, juniors Patrick Oauthout and Stefani Jones are the ones now fighting head-to-head to win votes and secure themself this important role. Having personally known Patrick since our freshman year, I am continually impressed by his achievements both inside and outside the classroom. With this in mind, Patrick definitely has my vote but I’ll let you read the rest of this article and make the decision for yourself.

Patrick is the candidate with the most experience. No stranger to DSG, Patrick has already been a Senator for two years and currently serves as Student Body Vice President. As the second-in-command to President Alexandra Swain, Patrick is incredibly well informed on what this role entails, as well as what works and does not work. Also, a fun fact? No one else except President Swain and Patrick have been part of DSG for six or more semesters.

Patrick has always been results-driven and has the proof to show for it. Since arriving at Duke in 2010, Patrick has initiated and completed projects that have the potential to impact Duke for years to come. The following are just a few examples:

• He launched Fix My Campus, which allows students to submit ideas to improve Duke
  • He helped update campus alcohol and conduct policy to benefit Greeks & SLGs
  • He formulated DSG’s first Bill of Rights, which grants students the right to free speech
  • He allocated funds to keep Midnight Breakfast free & Common Ground in Spring 2013
  • He advertised and conceptualized the Duke Forward Capital Campaign

Patrick is a man on a mission. This candidate’s pledge to us all is this: “I will turn your requests into results”. But how exactly does Patrick want to serve the Duke community in return for everything Duke has given him? Again, the following are just a few of the innovative and effective ideas, which will be part of Patrick’s legacy as DSG President:

• Party Policy. Patrick will fight to preserve Bring Your Own Beer (BYOB) policy for on-campus events and support an “open door policy”, whereby students can drink as long they keep their doors open so RAs can be sure that everyone is drinking safely.
  • Contraception. Patrick will push for more contraception options to be available on Central, just like they are on West and East, so everyone can practice safe sex.
  • Meal Plans for Seniors. Patrick will fight for the option for seniors to have a smaller meal plan, which is far more appropriate for those students living off campus.
  • Transloc Monitors. Currently only available on our phones and computers, Patrick wants to have monitors set up in popular places around campus so you never miss the bus again.
  • PACT Training. As the first every openly gay President of DSG, Patrick would strive to implement online PACT training as a requirement for all incoming freshmen to complete, along with AlcoholEdu, in order to foster a more accepting campus for Duke students.
  • Self Defence. Alarmed at how many emails we wake up to from Duke Police about the latest crime that has gone down on/near campus? Don’t worry, Patrick will be pushing Duke Athletics to provide self-defense classes in Wilson and Brodie Gyms.

For a more detailed look at Patrick’s candidacy platform, which balances both short term and long term goals, you can check out his website here: http://people.duke.edu/~pao6/

Born and raised in Houston, a Duke’s Board of Trustees representative, a Chronicle columnist, President and Founder of the Duke Colloqium Fellows, a Founding Father of Duke’s Sigma Pi Fraternity and now a Her Campus Celebrity (!), Patrick is a proud Duke Devil who is ready and prepared to serve as the next President of DSG. No Doubt Oathout, Patrick was made for this role.

Vote “Patrick for President” on Thursday March 7th!

Images: 1 2

Duke Contributors!