Over-Exercise in College: How Pushing the Limit Can Hurt You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

We all know exercise is good for us. Beyond the obvious physical benefits that come along with working out, regular exercise also provides a number of positive psychological effects. Anyone who’s ever had a good run or gym session knows how rewarding exercise can be. But although most of us know how great a good workout can feel, we also know that sometimes a break from the gym can feel even better. But for a growing number of college girls, going to the gym isn’t an option. Compulsive exercise is a noticeable problem on college campuses, especially among girls who strive for perfection. When exercise stops being a healthy choice and begins to be an obsession, the positive effects associated with exercise diminish. Over-exercising can be harmful to both the body and mind, and can trap girls in a cycle of depression and self-punishment.

What is Compulsive Exercise?

Compulsive exercise is an addictive disorder. Alice Park, a Time journalist who covers health issues writes, “As great as exercise is, it’s like a powerful drug.” The chemicals that are released in our brains when we exercise make us feel good, and this good feeling can make us want to exercise more.  However, unlike other potentially addictive behaviors, exercise is considered to be a positive and beneficial activity.  So if exercise is a good thing that makes us feel good, how can it ever be too much?

Dr. Mary Gavin writes that compulsive exercise is not specifically related to the number of miles logged or the hours a person spends on the elliptical, it’s about their frame of mind. A person who engages in compulsive exercise “no longer chooses to exercise but feels compelled to do so.” Not working out would cause debilitating guilt and anxiety, which forces the person to schedule their lives in such a way that exercise is always the top priority.  Relationships and other commitments become less important, and over time they can begin to fall away. The positive feelings that come from interactions with other people and activities are replaced with those that come from working out.

College Girls at Risk

Exercise addiction, according to Ph.D. Karen Hylen, “is a modern phenomenon, triggered in part by the ridiculous standards of perfection our society places on young teenage girls.” In college, these standards can become even more extreme. College girls live, eat, and sometimes even exercise together, which can lead to competition and comparison. Low self-esteem can come as a result of these constant comparisons, and can drive girls to over-exercise as a way to gain control and feel better about themselves. However, when taken to the extreme, exercise stops being a way for girls to gain control, and it begins to take control over their lives.  Compulsive exercise can eventually lead to other obsessive behaviors such as extreme dieting, and can perpetuate feelings of inadequacy.

What to Look Out For

These are the warning signs of an exercise addiction, as outlined by the American Psychiatric Society:

• Always working out alone, isolated from others.
  • Always following the same rigid exercise pattern.
  • Exercising for more than two hours daily, repeatedly.
  • Fixation on weight loss or calories burned.
  • Exercising when sick or injured.
  • Exercising to the point of pain and beyond.
  • Skipping work, class, or social plans for workouts.

If you, or a friend, meet these criteria, consider getting some help. Most colleges, Duke included, have strong counseling programs, and have people who are trained to deal specifically with eating disorders and over-exercise. Addressing these behaviors early can help stop them before they get out of control. 

Article Source 1

Article Source 2

Article Source 3

Photo Source 1

Photo Source 2

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).