This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Last week, Amy Khuu came to visit. If you know me well, you probably met her; she was here for four nights, so she got to experience my African dance class, my sorority’s keggerskating event (sorry I was such a horrible date, Amy), brunch at the Nasher, hanging in the Gardens, and a zillion other things Dukies love doing on a beautiful weekend. Amy is a student at Syracuse, and we met last semester when she was randomly assigned as my roommate for a semester in Barcelona. We fell madly in love pretty quickly, but I think I knew she was perfect when I tried her mojitos for the first time.

Seriously, we’re perfect for each other. And her mojitos were perfect for us.

We talked a lot about making her fruity mojitos while she was in town for the weekend, but we got more caught up on going to Dame’s Chicken & Waffles and eating loyo to take the time to go grocery shopping. In honor of Amy and her weekend here, I’m going to do a flashback and let you all know how you can make mojitos like the ones we made in Barcelona!

This is a recipe for entertaining – depending on how large your glasses are (and how “thirsty” you are), this will serve up mojitos to 8-10 people! We mixed our mojitos in a stockpot, which was perfect for ladling out the drink later. Line the bottom of the stockpot with mint leaves (remember, don’t just buy mint and dump it in – pick the leaves off the stems), and sprinkle about 2 teaspoons worth of sugar on top. Using a mortar, crush the sugar into the mint leaves. Wash a dozen strawberries, cut them, and throw them in too. Crush them into the mint leaves with the mortar. We tossed in about a cup of watermelon too!

Cut three limes in half, and squeeze the juice into the mixture. Pour in a fifth (750 mL) of your favorite clear rum, and double that amount (1.5 liters) with soda. We used sprite, but that produces a really sweet drink. Traditionally, mojitos are made with club soda or tonic water, and the strawberries and sugar guarantee your beverages will come out sweet and tasty either way!

Serve up your mojitos, and enjoy them as much as we did!

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).