The Midterm Frenzy: 6 Steps to Avoid All-Nighters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s that time of the year – those dreadful midterms are creeping up on you like it’s nobody’s business. Who has time to crack open the Orgo textbook when Duke Memes commands all of your attention? Who wants to look up information about laws and policies when you’d rather be looking up hotel and flight information for a crazy spring break? It’s not easy getting down and dirty with notes and Wikipedia articles, but taking the time to actually study ahead of time has proven to prevent illness, help you retain knowledge, and actually comprehend material.

Before you decide to cram on the night of an exam, consider the consequences. Sleep deprivation, dizziness, and high amounts of stress will not only prevent you from doing well, but will also weaken your immune system and thus make it harder to continue studying for later midterms. The last thing you want is to be stuck in bed unable to think straight because of a bad cold that has manifested right when you have of all those readings to finish.

What’s more, cramming does nothing for your long-term memory. Popular Science indicates that according to a psychological study carried out by the University of California-San Diego, students performed far better when they spaced out their studying, rather than when they tried to cram everything in one sitting. Not only were test grades higher, but when tested again at a later date on the same material, students performed better again.

Although procrastination is probably the enemy of every college student, the stress of knowing that a deadline is approaching with limited time left can leave students feeling helpless, anxious, and overwhelmed. Deborah Lee, Junior, admits that she ends up pulling all-nighters a lot. However, she voiced that she often regrets doing so when she shared, “though there is a sense of urgency in cramming that really helps you focus, I always find myself wishing afterwards that I had started studying earlier just so that I don’t have to deal with the stress of knowing I may run out of time.”

1.     Make A Schedule

Get a planner! Take advantage of your Gmail account with the Google calendar. Plan out each day with a lesson that needs to be covered, and do a little bit of several subjects everyday. Because you aren’t spending 4 hours on one topic, it may seem like you aren’t getting much out of it but the gradual accumulation will reward you in the end. I like to use the “stickies” application that my MacBook Pro offers as it allow me to easily create checklists. Better still, it is satisfying to be able to cross out something on a checklist – a sense of accomplishment. So, get organized and stay organized. If you told yourself you were going to study for Physics for one hour today, even though the midterm isn’t for another week, just do it. Anticipate the ability to cross it off the list.

2.     Space out your time: take breaks and stuff; start early

To put it quite simply, START EARLY! Studying for a midterm a week in advance may seem absurd to some, but think about how smug you’ll be when you set the curve. Also, allowing yourself substantial time to prepare will not only help you better learn and retain the material, but will keep you less stressed. If you keep thinking you have plenty of time, take a look at your schedule again. You may even want to write on your schedule that a midterm is actually a few days earlier, so that you will be absolutely prepared.

Another way to improve your study habits is to concentrate on the order in which you study. The longer you spend on a specific subject, the faster your brain turns into jelly. Alternate completing problem sets, with practicing French. When you take your breaks, take them wisely. Eat food, exercise, talk to a friend, or take a nap. I suggest that if you take a break to look on Facebook or surf the web, limit yourself to a set time and do something else during your break as well.

3.     Award Yourself

Finished a section of your paper? Take a break, exercise, Skype a friend, go to Shooters! Award yourself during your breaks along the way. Using positive reinforcement will make you feel good about yourself, just like crossing things off a to-do list will make you feel accomplished.

4.     Minimize Interruptions:

When I walk through the library, I can confidently say that about 80% of the students who are “working” have their computers open to Facebook. The amount of time you probably spend on Facebook can amount to days, weeks, or even months. One thing that I like to remind myself – what exactly am I getting out of this? What am I gaining from looking at random people’s pictures and talking about nothing with friends who I could see in two hours? Just turn it off. And if you really need help? Try Self Control, a program that blocks specified websites for a set time period that you want. Even if you try to turn off your computer, it will be to no avail! Check it out here à http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31289/selfcontrol. However, I know some of you don’t even need a computer to get distracted. Turn your phone on vibrate. Better yet, if you can handle this craziness… turn it OFF! (Especially if you really need to crack down). My phone died at the library once, and I was forced to sit in Carpenter reading room with no cellular device. I felt naked. But at the same time, it was so invigorating. I was on top of my sh*t! You can even do it for a short amount of time. Just slow down the finger texting skills and up the essay typing skills.

5.     Recite and Review

The best way to remember facts? Recite them aloud. Each day you learn something new, do a little review of the material you learned the day before. The more something is reinforced into your noggin, the harder it will be for you to forget it!

6.     Get Lots of Rest and Eat Well

This one is pretty self-explanatory. I speak from experience when I say that I went through a phase where I never went to bed before 4am. I thought it was insomnia, but let’s be real – I blame Duke’s 24/7 Wi-Fi. My resolution? I turn off my computer before I crawl into the warm confines of my sheets, because once I’m lying in bed with my laptop propped up on my stomach, there is no turning back. Always remember to get a sufficient amount of sleep. Rest is just as important as preparation; sometimes, I will even argue it’s more important. Don’t stay up until 3am on the night of your 8am final. No one wants a drooling test-taker. Awkward. And please, eat well. Eat breakfast. And that doesn’t mean vending machine food. 

7.     COMMIT

Stop making excuses. Make the schedule. Take meaningful breaks. Turn off the cell. Go to sleep. Whatever you decide – commit to it. You may not always commit, but when you do, you kick ass. (see what I did there?)

Best of luck during midterms!

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-11/cramming-not-long-term-study-strategy

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).