freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Love and Its Many Manifestations: Reasons Why the Dreaded V-Day Isn’t All That Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s no secret that Valentine’s Day has many haters. People all over the world have come to dread this one day of the year when it’s acceptable for everyone who is in love to flaunt it and for those who aren’t to wallow in it.  

But Valentine’s Day isn’t just about a romantic date with your significant other or a rom-com with someone you’re hoping could become more than “just a friend.” Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love—of all types, and it’s a celebration that shouldn’t just occur once a year.

Love is a daily occurrence. It surrounds us, and we can only hope to take part in its transformative powers. Each day, truthfully, is Valentine’s Day, and the love that I encounter every day in the world makes me appreciate the beauty of the V-day celebration. So even if you don’t have that man in your life who is willing to make some grand romantic gesture in your honor, appreciate the love of family and friends who will always be there for you. Because even though you may not realize it, they’re the ones who really make those grand romantic gestures each and every day.

Valentine’s Day is a day to acknowledge the acts of love that we encounter every day—the little things that make us smile and brighten our world. It’s a time to thank your mom and dad for all those thoughtful care packages, the overflowing amount of prayers and love, and their support through every one of your bad days. It’s a day to show your appreciation for your siblings who call you and make you laugh after that killer exam or who proofread your endless supply of cover letters and resumes, even when they have plenty of work to do themselves. It’s a holiday for thanking your friends—the ones who comfort you when your heart’s been broken, who make you laugh to no end during those weekly wine nights, and who always have your back. It’s a day to acknowledge all of the kind people of the world—whether you may know them or not—the people who return your smile on the bus, who hold a door for you when you’re loaded down with books and balancing a cup of coffee, who show you how to fix your mistake on that problem set, or who compliment your thoughtful response in class.

Love truly is all around us. We just need to make ourselves aware of its presence in our daily lives.

So you see, Valentine’s Day is not a holiday for “lovers” (as in only people who are in Facebook official, committed, exclusive relationships); it’s a celebration meant for everyone because we are all lovers. We have all known the beauty of love each and every day. So instead of dreading this holiday, embrace it.  Accept the love that surrounds us, and give some back to those who will always love you unconditionally.