The Little Things You Take for Granted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Being abroad for two months in Italy has taught me a lot of lessons. The biggest and best lesson I’ll be taking with me back to Duke is pretty simple, but often ignored. It’s that the best things in life, and the things that make the most difference, are the little everyday things that we take for granted or overlook because they are so basic.

Studying abroad definitely has its upside, but it also has a downside. People really weren’t joking when they warned me about culture shock. All of the sudden things I could easily do in America were now tedious and many basic luxuries that I didn’t realize played such a huge part of my everyday routine were replaced. The more time I spent here, the more my lifestyle transformed to adapt to the European culture I’ve been immersed in.  

While I love the time I’ve spent abroad and all the places I’ve visited, being here has made me love America so much more. As I become more homesick with the holidays coming around, I’ve realized that things I miss the most are the little things that I overlook. Instead of going into a long and touchy narrative, I am just going to ask you to stop and appreciate a few things that many of you probably overlook back home from the serious to the not so serious.

The Election season: whether you are into politics or not, appreciate how lucky you are to be witnessing one of the most important elections in the world firsthand. Every country that I’ve visited has had some sort of media coverage on our election, and Amsterdam even had posters all over the city with Romney and Obama’s faces.

Fall: I miss foliage so much I have dedicated a full Pinterest board to it. Next time you find yourself angrily riding the C1 to class, take a look around and appreciate how absolutely gorgeous Duke is in the fall. 

English: Ever try finding a medicine or following directions on a package in another language? Not fun…they don’t teach “decongestant” in Elementary Italian.

Food Variety: The next time you find yourself indecisive over Sushi Love, Pop’s or Wa, realize how incredible it is to have so many international foods right at your fingertips.

Peanut butter, salted bread, pancakes, and cookies: In the rare event you stumble upon some of the most essential American food staples, chances are you’ll be disappointed. They’re either overpriced or overpromise and under deliver. So please, go enjoy some Tower pancakes for me.

No exchange rate: Not having to do mental math every time you make a transaction is a luxury that cannot be overestimated. Especially when the exchange rates aren’t in your favor.

Thanksgiving: With turkey, pie, family and football, it’s kind of hard to not appreciate this holiday, but I thought I’d throw it in to make sure you appreciate it a little more for all of us abroad.

Duke: As much as we complain about “the dirty d” or our workload, there’s a lot to love about Duke. We have incredible professors, a diverse and interesting student body, an amazing sense of community and a great school culture.

So as the semester draws to a close and work starts piling on top of you, start looking around you at all the small, unassuming things that you take for granted on a daily basis. And, in the spirit of appreciating the little things we take for granted, while you’re appreciating your Thanksgiving, I’ll enjoy a little real Italian pizza for all you back home.

Image source: 1

Don’t forget to enter our Nicole Miller/Kickboard Scooter giveaway here

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).