LDOC: It’s A Marathon, Not a Sprint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Although I have yet to personally experience the pleasure that is LDOC, I have had more than my fair share of failed attempts at successful day drinking. Therefore, for both my benefit as well as yours, I have come up a few ideas about how to successfully darty without passing out before the day, and night, is over. I’ll start with a couple of mistakes I’ve personally committed, and then provide some solutions to help everyone avoid them. 

Mistake #1: Pregaming with shots
Day drinking is a marathon, not a sprint. Personally, I am a huge supporter of shots, but every time I have started off my day drinking with shots, by about 4 o’clock I’m done for the night.

Solution: Mimosas. What is better than waking up to a little Andre and orange juice? If you’re not a fan of champagne, consider starting with beer or sipping on a casual Red Bull vodka to get going. 

Mistake #2: Not drinking water
This is one of the greatest sins of day drinking. The after effects of dehydration include a mean hangover that will leave you absolutely paralyzed. With finals looming, the last thing we all want is a debilitating hangover that makes our day of studying that much more painful

Solution: The day before, try to drink as much water as you can before LDOC to ensure you are already hydrated. Throughout the day, consider double fisting a water bottle with your mixed drink and remind yourself to drink water whenever you can. Before you go to bed, drink another bottle of water and eat a banana (the potassium in bananas has proven to help prevent dehydration and reduce hangovers). 

Mistake #3: Not eating before drinking
Not eating before you start drinking is basically a guaranteed way to blackout. Without anything to soak up all the Crat you are drinking, you will be drunk by your third shot. Although this may sound appealing on a normal night, you will quickly regret your low tolerance after a few hours (and a couple of shots).

Solution: Try to eat something with substance for breakfast such as cereal, eggs, toast, pancakes, etc. Take advantage of the numerous food trucks spread out around campus mid-day to help soak up alcohol and keep going.

Mistake #4: Wearing a skirt or dress that is too short
If you do find yourself having a day drinking fail, the last thing you want is for everyone around you to “see” your fail…if you know what I mean. I’ve seen those girls numerous times, and without a doubt, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Solution: My personal favorite solution is wearing a romper. They are super cute and springy, yet they also allow you to sit down, lay down, or whatever on the quad, without worrying about flashing anyone. Obviously, shorts are another good solution if those are more up your alley. 

Mistake #5: Not wearing sunscreen
Although I cannot personally attest to experiencing a bad sunburn, they don’t look very pleasant, and are super easy to avoid. Looking like a lobster and peeling are definitely not trending up, and neither is skin damage.

Solution: Wear sunscreen, even if you “never get sunburned”. Make sure to find a brand that smells good so you don’t become that token girl who makes the whole room stench like Banana Boat. 

Mistake #6: Not having somewhere to hold your stuff
Shallow pockets, or no pockets are my enemy every single time I day drink. Without fail, I lose something every single time. Although everyone may not suffer the same problem as I do, I strongly recommend having a place to securely put your stuff so you don’t have to worry about it falling out or having to hold it.

Solution: Sport the sexy fanny pack look, wear something with deep pockets, or carry an over the shoulder purse for your phone, Duke card, and whatever else you might need with you.

Mistake #7: don’t carry around a liter of a mixed drink
It doesn’t end well. Trust me.

Solution: Portion control.

There are just so many great things I have to say about day drinking, but about so many ways to go wrong. I hope my numerous unsuccessful attempts at day drinking help guide you on the way to a successful LDOC and a great end of the year before the hell that is finals week.

LDOC image source
#whatweshouldcallme Image source

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.