Isabella Kwai – Sophomore Class President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Chances are, you’ve probably seen Isabella (more commonly known as Bella) around campus or read one of her Chronicle articles that are splashed on everyone’s newsfeeds. As well as being Class of 2016 President and a blogger for the Chronicle, Bella (who is from Sydney, Australia) also works for Peer For You, a student founded website that allows students to voice their concerns to other students!

Bella ran for class president because she loved the diversity and the people in her year. She wanted the opportunity to be able to organise programming and other events that she hoped would contribute a sprit of positivity to the sophomore class.

When asked about her personal achievements to date at Duke, Bella jokingly says “being able to navigate Science Drive! More seriously I have put on the Fall Festival for Sophomores to celebrate, I have found my voice by writing a column, I have helped to raise money for Duke Children’s Hospital as well as to spearhead initiatives to help Duke students to feel more positive and open about their worries and struggles.” Bella has gone above and beyond reaching out to her entire class body and making sure that everyone is heard.

“This semester is my first time writing for the Chronicle, and I’m hoping to write on things that Duke students universally experience and think about but my not necessarily voice! I think its always helpful to be open and have a space to be genuine and honest. Hopefully my column will do that,” explains Bella. Be sure to check them out at http://www.dukechronicle.com/staff/isabella-kwai/articles.

Bella has an exciting year in front of her, with plans to do the Duke in Oxford program as she wishes to take an English class there being an English and Public Policy Double major. Bella isn’t studying abroad next semester however; “I’d love to but I really do enjoy being at Duke too much, even with its challenges!”

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major