Internship Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Collegiettes, chances are you are currently trying to secure an exciting internship at a desirable location, whether for a part-time position during the school year, or a full-time commitment over the summer. I happen to be one of those obsessive people who scour the Internet for useful tidbits- I’ve compiled a list of tips from both my own internship experiences and from helpful friends and websites. Read on, and best of luck in your internship endeavors! 

(BEFORE THE “BEFORE”)

Start researching opportunities early. A lot of competitive internships have early deadlines, especially for the summers. Websites like ed2010.com are great for scouring available internships!

BEFORE: THE INTERVIEW

1. Read over your resume and cover letter. Then read it over again. THEN give it to a friend. You do not want any errors – they’re a pretty easy way to make sure you don’t get the position.
  2. Pick out an outfit that conveys your personality, but make sure it fits with the company’s attire. I have a go-to black and white dress with a nice cardigan and pumps, and that has been a solid interview outfit for the past two years.
  3. Ask questions at the interview.  Beforehand, do some prep research on the internship and the company itself to come equipped with specific, thoughtful questions. Show your interest in that particular internship position!
  4. SMILE. Smiling and making eye contact suggests an optimistic personality, which is important for positions that require lots of problem solving. And your quick responses will tell your boss that you won’t get overwhelmed if you are faced with challenges.
  5. Go ahead and look up common interview questions, and shape strong answers before you’re grappling with a response under pressure. Don’t memorize answers – you don’t want to sound like a drone during the actual interview – but chances are, your interviewer will ask some of basic questions like, “What’s an obstacle you’ve faced in the past, and how did you handle it?”. Once, my interviewer printed out such questions from the Internet, and that was virtually my entire interview. 

(IN BETWEEN)

Send a hand-written thank you note to your interviewer. It emphasizes your interest in the position, sets you apart from your competitors and makes you memorable. Plus, it gives you the chance to reiterate just how much you want the internship!

DURING: THE INTERNSHIP

1. Make yourself available. Unlike a 9-to-5 position with benefits, you’ll only be doing this internship for the semester, or the summer, or whatever you promised. So what does this mean? Stay that extra half hour on a Tuesday to help someone with a project. Ask around for what else you can do when you finish your work for the day. Take that extra step, and it’s pretty likely that your hands-on-helper reputation will make it back to your boss. The best question to ask is always, “Is there anything I can help you with?”
  2. Meet with your boss frequently (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, whatever works best for both of you) to talk about your performance. It’s a chance for you to ask questions and give input, as well as a chance for your boss to discuss expectations for you.
  3. Dress the part. You may not be a full-time employee with a contract, but in my experience, it’s always best for the intern to dress a step above “acceptable” attire for the office. It shows that you respect your boss and the work environment.
  4. Meet people! Yes, you work for your boss, but don’t let that stop you from making connections. Go out of your way to meet and help people. The more allies you have in the workplace, the more valuable your internship experience will be. 

AFTER: THE “WHAT NEXT”?

1. Make sure you get a reference letter from your boss that outlines the specific tasks that you completed and your formal job title.
  2. Meet with your boss, both to request this reference letter and to talk about all that you learned from the internship.
  3. If this is a company that you’d be interested in for a career, make sure to let your boss know. If you demonstrated your passion, hardworking attitude, and willingness to give that extra effort, chances are it didn’t go unnoticed. Discuss potential career opportunities with your boss.
  4. WRITE A THANK YOU NOTE. Again, a handwritten thank you goes a long way. This is your chance to reiterate all that you gained from the position.

(AFTER THE “AFTER”):

Stay in touch with your boss. That way, if you need a reference or a recommendation letter, you’ll be able to call or email your boss to ask for it. You’ll also feel like you have maintained a relationship with him or her, as well as the company itself.

Photo Source:
http://www.rapidstudies.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/business-woman-table-group.jpg

Victoria Scott is a junior and English major at Duke University. On campus, she is an Editor and Photo-blogger for Her Campus, Managing Editor for The Chanticleer (the university yearbook), photographer and Copy Editor for DMIX Magazine, and a Resident Assistant. In her spare time, she enjoys baking cupcakes and playing tennis.
Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.