How to Write a Successful Cover Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

As spring gets closer, collegiettes are faced with even more stress to get an internship for the summer. So, along with our essays, problem sets, and midterms, we now need to illustrate ourselves as the ideal candidate on just a few pieces of paper. But, have no fear! Her Campus Duke is here to help write a successful cover letter so you can snag that dream internship.

Just follow these five steps and you may see yourself relaxing as your friends fret over their summer plans.

1. Make a strong first impression in the first sentence and the first paragraph. The first sentence is key. A persuasive first sentence shows that you’re serious and it will keep their attention. You should bring up interesting and compelling information about your candidacy in the first paragraph. The last paragraph is too late!
  2. Go beyond general statements that could be true for the majority of candidates. Don’t use common qualities or characteristics; they won’t help you to uniquely stand out! Let your resume cover the basics and use the cover letter to highlight bigger patterns of success or even share an anecdote about your achievements. 
  3. Tell the reader about you. Connect your background and your interests to your knowledge of the company. This will communicate your interest and motivation to apply! Avoid reporting facts – the reader already knows their company! They want to you know about you and why you are applying.
  4. Write a specific thesis sentence. Put it at the end of the first paragraph. It will probably go like this: I am confident that my (ability to, background in, experience with, etc.) and (knowledge of, skills in, etc.) will give me the ability to succeed with your company.
  5. Use evidence to build credibility around every claim in your letter. The reader wants to believe you and needs plausible and detailed illustrations of your past success to do so. If you have included more than two claims about your ability to do well in the job, you are sacrificing depth for breath and duplicating the work that the resume should do. Instead, move that extra information from the cover letter to improve your resume.

So there you have it! If you want more tips like this, make sure to visit the Career Center. You can schedule a career counseling appointment or drop-in for 10-15 minutes anytime from 3 to 5 pm on M-Fri. If you’re a freshman, you can stop by for their First-Year Fridays from 1-3 PM.

Source: Duke Career Center Career Guide 2011-2012

Photo source: http://collegelifestyles.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.