How to Take the Perfect Instagram!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Although we feel that we have by now adjusted to life abroad, we still feel the constant pressure to upload the perfect Instagram of our travels.  While we have seen a lot of cool tourist attractions over the past two months, we have come to learn that not every picture translates to a good Instagram!  The angle, lighting, filter and caption are all very important aspects of a professional Instagram photo that must be taken into consideration.  Here are some pictures where we feel that we got it right!

When Instagramming buildings, we prefer to take the photo from a low angle. Not only does it make the buildings look taller, but it also allows us to squat on the ground with our cameras, pretending to have the slightest photography background.

This view never gets old #Duomo #Florence

Pretty striped building in #Chianti

Beautiful church in Tuscany #Amen

Truthfully, when we instagram landscapes, we pretty much snap away and hope for the best. But hey…they still got us tons of “likes”!

Good thing we woke up early to reserve chairs. #peaceful #Puglia

The view from the top of the Duomo #worththeclimb

Why can’t America look like this? #CinqueTerre

For food pics, we typically opt for the birds-eye view so that we can capture the entire item.  We may adjust the lighting slightly, but the food here is already so amazing that we rarely need to make major edits. #NoFilter

We love Florence a latte #Punny

There ARNO worries when you’ve got gelato #ArnoRiver #YUM

No, it’s not Thanksgiving…it’s just lunch. #FoodComa

Lobster and Spaghetti…what more could you need? #delish

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major