This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Among a plethora of Duke-related Facebook statuses crowding my newsfeed to mark our return to campus for the spring semester, one has stuck out to me in particular. One of our very own Her Campus Duke writers posted:
“I’d be thrilled to find a man that makes me half as happy as this school does. SO GOOD TO BE BACK”

At first I chuckled but then, I couldn’t help but linger upon Ashley Alman’s status. As a student returning to Duke from a study abroad program this semester, I identified immediately with Ashley’s enthusiasm to come home to the beautiful Gothic campus, the sweetly southern city of Durham, and the social extravagance that characterizes the Duke University experience. And after stepping foot on campus for the first time in months, I recalled how amazing Duke is and how happy I am to be a Blue Devil. I thought back to Ashley’s status and I had to wonder… Can we truly find a partner that will make us half as happy as Duke does?

Initially you might think this is a heinous idea…of course we’ll find a partner that makes us as happy or happier than Duke! Duke is just a school, a 4-year institution (for most of us), a place that we drag our bodies through to earn a real life and hopefully to grab a few laughs along the way. But is it? As I walked up to my new ginormous suite in Keohane 4E I wondered, will I ever find a man that can buy me a brand new house right smack in the middle of our two and a half year marriage so that I can return from “studying abroad” (aka “doing nothing”) to a beautiful immaculate mansion of a home? I wondered, will I ever find a man that stimulates my mind the way Duke does? Is there really someone out there that can push me to the limits of my intellectual and creative efforts like Duke does with its classes? Is there a partner out there just itching to teach me about Latin American Literature, python programming, and how to measure the oscillations of the moon in orbit?

And there are all the resources Duke offers us freely, openly, generously. I thought about my studies abroad that I just completed through the Duke in New York Arts & Media Program. Will I ever find a man that will take me to New York City for an entire semester free of charge (kind of), help me get my dream internship, and have the time of my life? Parents always say to find a partner that can support you financially, emotionally, intellectually, and professionally, a partner that will be there for you through the good and the bad, someone that will love you unconditionally.

Duke has seen me at my worst and my best, has held me to a higher standard, has catered to my every need and desire and has helped me to grow as a person. Duke still loves me even if I’ve danced a little too aggressively in the cage at Shooters, purchased my 15th Dukecard, lost every inhibition at tailgate, and even when I’ve made lower than an A (it was only once, so its okay). Duke has given me more than I could have ever dreamed of in a college, in an experience…how can I find anything or anyone better?

When college applications were done and that admissions officer chose me out of thousands for acceptance, there must have been stars aligning in the universe (probably right over my house—and I had no idea!). I’m sure Ashley feels the same way. We’re all star-crossed lovers with Duke University. As we return to campus, whatever status pops up on our Facebook timelines, “Duke bound,” “Back in the 919,” or “back in the Dirty D” we all must feel a singular sense of belonging, of comfort, of love for Duke. When you think about it like that while walking once again in the warm January weather of Durham, down the familiar stone pathways of West Campus, even into the dinginess of your Central apartment or the immaculate halls of your new 4E dorm, it seems that there could never be any other thing, place, or person that could ever compare to Duke in your life.

I’m not sure if anyone can really compete with Duke for my heart, but I guess I’m with Ashley on this one, if he’s out there, I’m thrilled.

image: http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2011/02/09/s110209_01duke-pg-horizo…

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).