How to Get Your Dream Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

http://hotspotatl.com/internship/

As a sophomore, this upcoming summer is the first one where I really really, really need to get an internship. It’s time for me to stop fooling around during my summers and start figuring out what I actually want to do with my life. The thought of leaving this Gothic Wonderland for the real world is awful, but it IS a reality. So, I sat down at my desk and started to Google internship possibilities for the summer.

I came up with a few great sites that led me to opportunities, but these sites are few and far between. Most of them ask you for money, or try to get you to participate in summer programs where you’re actually paying them to get you an internship. After that disappointment, I decided to try my own approach. Since I’m interested in journalism and communications, I started to scour the websites of publications and broadcasting companies, searching for summer intern positions.

It’s important at this point to start taking note of prerequisites. Many companies require that you get college credit for an internship. You have to know your college’s policy on this—Duke has a particularly weird and strict policy where they only give you credit if your major requires an internship (and most majors don’t!). Other companies require that you be a rising junior or senior in college. If you aren’t, that stinks! Keep searching!

Once you find a few that are right for you, start writing your resume. If you haven’t already used one in the past, start from scratch. Angle it towards the job you want; for instance, I talked a lot about publications I have written for, and leadership positions that I’ve had. You want to show that you’re well rounded, but also that you’re very interested in the industry that you’re applying to work in. You can ask for help at your college’s career center in order to iron out any issues with your resume before you send it in. Then, send it in! Be cognizant of deadlines—if you’re late with your application, they definitely won’t want you!

If they contact you for an interview, dress sharp! Look like a businesswoman, except a little younger. Try a chic blazer with cute cuffs, or one of the ones that doesn’t have buttons. Make sure your body language conveys professionalism, too. If you’re sitting, don’t slump down in your chair! Sit up straight, look your interviewer straight in the eye, and for goodness’ sake, make sure to cross your legs! Talk as though you’re very confident that you’re the right person for that job— win them over with your charm and knowledge of the field. Make sure that you sound professional, too. No cursing EVER, and try to avoid slang.

After the interview, send a professional thank you note. Make sure you use a letterhead (or at least type your name, address, e-mail address, and phone number in a professional way on the top of your document). Thank your interviewer for taking the time to speak with you, and tell him/her once again why you think you’re qualified for the job. Be appreciative—remember, if your interviewer likes you as a person, it’s much easier for him/her to see you as a member of the office team!

Good luck!

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).