How to Fight a Cold and Win!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

We’ve all been reminded over and over again about the importance of taking our vitamins. Zicam and Emergen-C can help fight the worst colds this winter by providing the necessary immune-boosting vitamins we need. If the word Zicam is completely foreign to you, don’t worry because in a short amount of time it will become your new best friend! Emergen-C not only tastes great (in my opinion), but will also have you feeling great too!

These new drinks come in a variety of flavors and are filled with cold-fighting ingredients! Zicam is made up of zincum aceticum and zincum gluconicum to reduce the duration of the common cold. It comes in the form of rapid melts, chewables and sprays, and is now available in cool mint, cherry, strawberry and citrus.

Emergen-C is fully loaded with 1,000 mg of vitamin C and 24 other nutrients and vitamins and is available in cranberry- pomegranate (my personal favorite), tangerine, dragon fruit, tropical, or orange.  

Now that you know more about what’s in each of these cold-fighting machines, it’s time to know how and when to use them! Zicam should be taken as soon as you think you may be getting sick. Continue taking Zicam every three hours for the next two days. As for Emergen-C, I recommend drinking it every day because it tastes great and will keep you healthy when everyone around you seems to be sick and stuck in bed. It’s so easy to use, just pour it into water and stir!

Just follow these five simple steps to staying healthy!

1. Drink Emergen-C every single day if you can, but especially when you see other people with the sniffles. It will keep you hydrated and energized all day!
  2. As soon as you start to feel sick, take a Zicam. Continue usage for the first 48 hours.
  3. Wash your hands or invest in hand sanitizer.
  4. SLEEP! It’s important to keep your body rested so it can fight off all the nasty germs.
  5. Finally, just relax! Try to keep your stress levels to a minimum because high levels of stress will only lower your immune system.

Photo sources:
http://katieblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/sick-1.jpg
http://moneysavingmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/emergen-c-berry.jpg

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.