How Dangerous is Molly?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Molly, which is the powder or crystal form of MDMA (the main chemical used to make ecstasy) is taking the US by storm and has now begun to affect college campuses. Molly is usually taken at raves and is commonly associated with EDM (electronic dance music). Earlier this year festival Electronic Zoo in New York had to be shut down and cancelled after molly overdoses resulting in death. But how dangerous is this drug anyway?

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration reports some of the side effects of molly are paranoia, depression, cardiovascular failure, and – most commonly – dehydration. Despite having more dangerous side effects than some other drugs, however, molly is less fatal.

Many people are attracted to molly because they believe that it is the pure form of MDMA and is therefore more socially acceptable than ecstasy. Lots of research has been conducted about it, and The New York Times reported, “In recent years, the Food and Drug Administration has approved studies looking into whether MDMA can be used to treat post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety in terminal cancer patients. . . . Dr. Halpern has found no evidence that the drug impairs cognitive performance. “A drug that actually does kill brain cells — which MDMA doesn’t — is alcohol,” he said.

Although Molly may not seem dangerous, users can experience “suicide Tuesdays” after Molly usage during the weekend. Suicide Tuesday victims experience severe depression, which can last weeks and affect their perceptions of everyday life. Users must also know exactly how much water they need to be drinking while using the drug as over-hydration and dehydration are very common. MDMA affects your body, and if you don’t drink enough water to keep your body temperatures regular you can have a seizure. It is also important to know that molly is an anti-diuretic, meaning it suppresses urine formation. So if you drink too much water, your blood will become diluted, which can lead to brain swelling. Knowing the side effects of the drugs is vital as unexpected things – especially if you are not well-informed – can occur.

Lastly, it is should be noted that, despite being considered pure, the chemical makeup of molly is often altered, making it hard for people to know what exactly they are taking.

Photo Sources: 1 2