Hot Springs Delight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Every weekend the Duke in China students typically participate in a planned program activity – whether it be the Kunming scavenger hunt, or going to the market and making dumplings, or it be visiting the Stone forest. In light of the October 1st Chinese holiday (celebrating the birth of the Republic of China), we got ourselves a free weekend… something very much needed.

Five of us Dukies plus LaLa, a Yunnan Normal University student, planned a trip to Yuxi, one of Yunnan’s treasured tourist sites, known for its relaxing and beautiful hot springs. Thank god LaLa came with us, otherwise we would have probably gotten lost, completely ripped off, or robbed. She was our savior, and a cutie too! 

We left Friday afternoon, and arrived at the busiest strangest bus station ever. Travelers were scrambling to buy tickets and to board busses, because in China, lines just don’t exist (along with traffic rules). People elbowed you, people pushed you to the ground – it was vicious! One woman fell down and scraped her knee… so scary. There were probably at least a hundred people in a massive crowd in front of us waiting to board the bus… so many people that we almost just about said forget it and thought about turning right around to go home. Instead, we held our ground and used our Duke student skills from fighting to get on the C1 and pushing to get into Shooters, to successfully climb on. Maybe China’s lack of lines is more familiar than I thought…

You also can’t forget about China’s absolute knack for translating Chinese to English!

When we arrived in Yuxi, LaLa was able to get us all checked into our spring side hotel without a hitch. A gorgeous and spacious room awaited us – it was such a pleasant change from the school dorms we had back in Kunming. Finally we could have a comfortable, relaxing, and luxurious weekend!

After we settled in, and squealed over all the free stuff the included with the room, we headed over to the hot springs right next door. We found ourselves in a miniature heaven. It was like nothing I had seen before! A previous hot spring I visited was a large body of water out in the open. This place comprised of over 20 hot spring fountains and pools that we could relax in. There was the Yin and Yang pool, which was shaped like the well-known symbol, the lotus flower petal pool, the whirlpool (which actually had a whirl in the middle!), the volcano pool, the sand pit, and EVEN a pool full of little fishies that would nibble you. Okay yeah that sounds really strange, but it was pretty cool! And the weirdest most bizarre feeling ever. They deliberately fed these fish very little so they’d be hungry and flock to your body when you stepped in! There were so many fascinating springs, and they were all within the confines of a forest like atmosphere, with rock, stone, and trees protecting us from the cold outside air. Even when you wanted to go to the bar to get some drinks or snacks, you had to cross water! Boy were we excited for those 5 and 8 yuan ($1.25 US dollar) drinks… they were especially gratifying in the hot steamy springs!

The people who worked there were absolutely adorable. When we took off our slippers to get into a pool, they came over and set our slippers straight. They constantly exchanged our damp towels for warm dry ones. I actually felt kind of bad, because we were a bit rowdy. I can kind of understand why some foreigners think Americans are obnoxious… I mean we kind of were! But it was all in good fun, and those who worked there loved talking to us to practice their English. We certainly entertained them. We ended up skipping around to different spring areas for about four hours, up until it closed.

After our lovely adventure, we decided to get some midnight snacks. Oh where was the 24 hour BC McDonalds when you most desperately needed it?! We wondered around the seemingly deserted city until we found this super busy street side vender/restaurant. I’m telling you, I have never eaten fried rice that tasted so good, at such an amazing time. Not that Panda Express could ever compare, but man, fried rice totally needs to be a Duke after midnight food option!

Although we had planned on hiking and climbing mountains the next day, the weather gods were not on our side. Instead, we walked around the city and ate at one of Yuxi’s most famous eateries and called it a day to return back to reality in Kunming.

I’m writing this blog right now from a café down the street from the university campus. I’m basically living at the cafés to do work… it also gives me a sense of Americanism whilst drinking a latte, typing on my Mac, and sometimes catching up on my Grey’s Anatomy episodes. Tomorrow is our midterm Chinese language final, though by the time you read this it will have been over. Right after our exam, we are boarding a travel tour bus that will kick off our 2-week fall break excursion! I should really REALLY be studying Chinese characters right now, but I’m too antsy for all of the site seeing we are about to do! We’ll be touring ethnic minority villages, Buddhist/Daoist temples, going hiking in the mountains of Yunnan, and partying it up in the vibrant nightlife. After the one-week program coordinated trip, we are taking a solo trip to the Tiger Leaping Gorge for 3 days, and then 5 of us girls are hitting up Beijing to explore for 6 days! I’m beyond excited. Because my Internet availability for the next two weeks is going to be a joke, please look forward to hearing about my fun-filled adventures when I return!

Here is a preview of the Tiger Leaping Gorge!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tiger_Leaping_Gorge_Canyon_Close_Up_View.JPG

I hope all is well and you are all enjoying HerCampus! I can’t wait to fill you in when I get back! Wish me luck!

XOXO,

JWOO

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.