HangOver: Post Traumatic O-Week Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.
Ah, O-Week. That beautiful week of getting “acclimated” to Duke AKA a week long whirlwind of scheduled activities that one easily questions the motives behind. Is that really supposed to prepare me for Duke? Are they trying to keep me busy so I don’t miss home?? Or do they want me in a FAC Chat instead of at the frat party??? Regardless, O-week has its ups and downs. The ups being the awesome DUI performance and getting to meet all your new classmates, and the downs being the countless names and numbers you will never remember or use. But, how do we all go from being able to walk up and start a conversation with anyone to a sudden rush of classes and upperclassmen and not knowing where to turn?

First off, just because O-week is over doesn’t mean the friendliness and polite gestures should end! The one thing we should all take away from O-Week is the sense of community we share. We are all new and are still getting our bearings, so don’t be afraid to walk up and say hello to the person sitting next to you in Marketplace or on the bus. And all those familiar O-Week faces you know but can’t quite put a name to shouldn’t keep you from talking to them ever again. Honestly, they probably feel the same way and are racking their brain for your name, too. Go up to them! Reach out and make more meaningful connections with your fellow classmates (except maybe the creepy guy down the hall that won’t stop walking in your room unannounced! That’s not acceptable “friendly” behavior!)

Another post O-week quandary you might be facing is which clubs to join. You went to the activities fair, every interest meeting you could fit between Orgo and Multivariable and you’re freaking out! “I’m receiving 20 emails a day and have no idea what to pick!” or “I can handle all twenty right?!” The key is not to overload yourself. You are here to learn and thrive academically, and any groups you decide to grace with your presence shouldn’t come in between you and the studies you’ve started a long term relationship with. After you’ve secured your studies, enlist in things that interest you. What do you like? What are you good at? And most importantly, what will challenge you and help you grow? College is all about expanding your horizons and exploring things you never knew about yourself and the best way to do that is through exploring new activities that you really love! Don’t be afraid just because you’ve never done it before – you’re not too old to learn! For a lot of us, college will be the last chance we get to participate in some of our favorite extracurriculars before our careers take precedence, so enjoy every minute you’ve got! Stay kind, and get involved. Just don’t drive yourself crazy. There are parties for that! 

My name is Hayley Boling. I'm a member of Duke University Class of 2017 and I am from Winston-Salem, NC! I'm a Dancing Devil and a member of Her Campus Duke. My interests include dance, band, and overall girlyness. I'm always down for an in-depth discussion or a trip to Southpoint!
Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major