This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

“Don’t go into the basement!”

The door creaks open, revealing a dark, damp, and cobwebbed stairwell. A girl shuffles down the steps with a flickering candle in hand. Out of the darkness, something lunges forward, and…

It’s Halloween, and you and your friends are watching a scary movie to set the mood. But if things that go bump in the night make you shriek, if you can only view horror films from behind your hands, and if October 31 is a dreaded holiday because, like me, you’re a coward when it comes to frightening flicks, look no further. We’ve put together a list of fun Halloween movies to watch, as well as a list of the bloodcurdling, spine-chilling films to avoid at all costs.

Top 5 Movies to Watch

1. Monsters, Inc.

Nothing says Halloween like monsters under the bed. This Pixar flick is sure to warm your heart and get you in the scaring mood. Catch the prequel, Monsters University, October 25 and 26 in Griffith Theater courtesy of Duke University Union.

2. Phantom of the Opera

In this classic musical, a disfigured recluse in the Paris Opera House falls in love with his young vocal student. Romance, kidnap and terror ensue. Just be warned: you’ll be humming the Phantom’s tunes all night.

3. Ghostbusters

Three oddball parapsychology scientists establish a ghost removal company in New York City. Watch them catch ghouls and spirits to save the city in this vintage comedy.

4. Vamps

Alicia Silverstone and Krysten Ritter star in this satiric romantic comedy about two unlucky-in-love vampires. With the tag line “Dating bites” and appearances from Downton Abbey’s Dan Stevens, this movie is a great way to make Halloween a girls’ night.

5. Hocus Pocus

No Halloween – no matter your age – would be complete without a showing of Hocus Pocus. Laugh and sing along as the Sanderson witch sisters try to make themselves immortal in this entertaining ‘90s movie.

Top 5 Movies to Avoid

The movies on this list will bring you nothing but nightmares and mini-heart attacks. So, if you’re a coward like me, do yourself a favor and excuse yourself before someone hits play. Because cozying up with the cute boy on Halloween is fun – that is until a little pee is scared out of you by one of these five films.

1. Poltergeist

2. Halloween

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

4. The Exorcist

5. The Changeling

Photo Cred: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major