This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you know there’s no substitute for good makeup. You can tell the difference when you’re using the good stuff, and once you start you can never go back. That being said, beauty is never cheap. When you’re tight on money, instead of reverting to the cheap stuff (the horror!), try these tips to save some dough. Whether it’s making every last bit of your favorite supplies count or using home remedies, your skin, and your pocketbook, will thank you.

Foundation
When applying your base foundation, slightly dampen your cosmetic sponge with water. This helps the sponge to absorb less excess makeup, so one tube will last much longer. This technique also allows for smoother application!

Mascara
As my go-to makeup, there’s nothing worse than realizing there’s not much life left in my mascara tube. You can perform a CPR of sorts by heating up the tube with a hair dryer or in a cup of hot water.

Lips
Though many women prefer lip-gloss, one benefit of lipstick is that you don’t have to toss it once you’re down to the end of the tube. Instead, you can use a lip brush, around $3 at most drugstores, to get more use out of your favorite color. This tip also ensures that you won’t use excess color (though we love making kisses on tissues to remove it!).

Nails
You can lengthen the life of your favorite nail polish colors, too. If the polish is getting thick or only the last dregs remain, you can add nail polish thinner, also sold at most drug stores.

Cleansing Pads
A good cleaning regimen is equally as important as using good makeup. Pre-packaged cleansing pads are often over-soaked in liquid. Instead of throwing this away, add your own cotton balls or pads to extend the value. Consider cutting your cotton pads in half, too, so you get twice as much use.

Photo source: http://www.wellheeledblog.com/2010/05/02/carnival-personal-finance-origin-piggy-bank/ 

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.