Fun Things to do at Duke When it’s Cold Out!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Put on your gloves, warm hat, and winter coat because it’s time to have fun outside! When the weather starts to get a little cooler, people tend to stay indoors. But why not bundle up and avoid that seasonal affective disorder that seems to creep up on us this time of year. Duke is beautiful during the fall when the leaves start to change. But once the leaves disappear, people tend to escape to their rooms for the season. While some hibernation is definitely needed, the best way to avoid permanent hibernation is to find fun things to do outdoors! And, lucky for us, there are plenty of fun and enjoyable things to do around campus!

Check these out!
1.     Winterfest in downtown Raleigh kicks-off December 3rd, offering ice-skating on an outdoor rink, concerts, and a tree lighting ceremony. Open from 5pm-11pm, the outdoor ice skating rink is a great place to escape to with friends or make your next destination date.
2.     Grab a blanket, or two, and set up a picnic in the Duke gardens with hot chocolate and some yummy treats. Try switching things up a bit and bring your laptop to watch a movie under the stars. The Holiday, Love Actually, and Elf are three great holiday films to watch under the stars. As for those yummy treats, head over to The Perk and try those cream cheese brownies. Just make sure to stay warm with extra layers and lots and lots of hot chocolate!
3.     The Duke Forest has 7,060 acres of land that offers space for picnics and even horseback riding: http://www.dukeforest.duke.edu/recreation/horse.htm. The Forest has beautiful trees and offers a great escape from the stress of approaching finals and papers.  Horseback riding can be a great way to explore the beauty that surrounds campus while getting some exercise at the same time. Round up a group of people for this fun get-together over the weekend this winter!

Duke has a beautiful campus that doesn’t just include East and West campuses. Take advantage of the 55 acres of garden and 7,060 acres of forest on Duke’s grounds. And, although the weather may start to cool, that doesn’t mean that the only things to see are inside. Just think of trying these outdoor activities as your preparation for the harsh conditions of tenting season!

Photo Sources:
Raleigh: http://raleighskyline.com/images/12.22.09/december_22_2009_raleighskyline.com_13.jpg

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).