This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name.  Dorm.  Hometown.  Major.  Sport.  Those were basically the only five things that everyone talked about during O-Week.  And, if I’m being totally honest with myself, those are still the questions I ask whenever I meet someone new.  It’s what I assume speed dating feels like, since you’re trying to quickly see if there’s a potential connection between you and the other person.  By asking superficial questions about where a person lives or what she plans to major in, you can figure out if she would make a good study buddy, but you really won’t be able to determine if she’s best friend material. 

And that’s the problem with icebreakers.  Most of them, especially during college orientation week, are designed to help you find people who are externally similar to you, without delving too deeply into your true personality.  But some of my closest friends in high school were completely different from me, and, had I used said icebreakers to get to “know” them, I would have ended up with the wrong friend group.  This being said, college moves a lot faster than high school ever did, so make sure that you’re asking the right questions when you meet someone new, or you might end up being the Cady Heron to a Regina George.  What kinds of questions should you ask, then?  Here are a few to help get you started on finding your real friend niche and making your college experience AU-MAZE-BALLZ.

1) How was your day?

Simple, yet effective.  This question almost always leads to an extended, yet interesting, conversation, rather than just a one-word answer.  I think that it’s much better than its overused cousin, “How are you?”  Usually, when I ask that question, people just respond with “Good.”  Which isn’t even technically grammatically correct.  It’s “Well,” people.

2) What are you most excited for today?

This question is usually most applicable during O-Week.  Definitely don’t ask this if you’ve just met someone during mid-terms or finals.  She’ll look at you with emotionally drained eyes and answer, “Sleep.”  But, during orientation, this question is great for learning what someone is passionate about and possibly getting info on exciting events on campus that you didn’t hear about!

3) Do you want to get breakfast/lunch/dinner/some sort of meal together?

I’ve always said, “Food is the universal language of the world.”  (I’ve actually never said that out loud, but I’ve thought about it a lot.  And food.  I am always thinking about food.)  Eating a meal together is a really easy and fun way to get to know someone, especially because you almost feel obligated to ask more interesting questions to keep the conversation going. 

4) What kind of music do you listen to?

One of the best ways to judge a person’s compatibility with you.  Enough said.

5) What did you get on your SATs?

Totally kidding.  You should never ask this.  Especially in college.  Where it doesn’t matter anymore.  I’m talking to you, Mr. 2400. 

I hope my suggestions hope you avoid the freshmen five.  If only I knew how to avoid the freshmen fifteen…