A Freshman’s Guide to Bus Banter 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s happened to all of us.  You’re shoved up next to a nice girl or a cute guy on the C1, and you have ten minutes to make an impression.  We were all freshmen at some point, so we are all guilty of the “Freshman 5.”

“What’s your name?  Where are you from?  Trinity or Pratt?  What’s your major?  What dorm are you in?”  

No ladies!!! We are better than this!! The Freshman 15 hasn’t gotten the better of us (yet), so neither will the Freshman 5!  Think about how many people you have had the same mundane conversation with. Do you actually remember them afterwards? No, you can’t blame Shooters for forgetting all of them.  Here’s how to break the cycle:

1. Be Creative. I’m not telling you not to find out the answers to the Freshman 5.  They are the most common questions for a reason—people want to know your name and where you’re from!—but have some fun with it.  Instead of asking what their major is, ask them what class they are headed to (they’re on the bus for a reason!).  They’re not headed to a class?  Even better, where are they going?
  2. Listen to their answers. This seems like a simple one but it is the most common mistake with introductions.  When you ask someone a question, listen to what their response is instead of thinking immediately about the next question you’re gonna ask right after.  Invest in the conversation!  It’s not a race to see who can get through the most Q&A’s.  Don’t let yourself get to the end of the conversation and realize you can’t even remember the information they told you. 
  3. Ask questions that require more than just a yes or no answer. The answers to the Freshman 5 are short – a common pitfall that leaves conversationalists awkwardly out of discussion points.  Talk about things you can compare interests on.  It doesn’t have to be a deep philosophical conversation!  You would be surprised by how people can bond over their opinions of the Marketplace!
  4. Be outgoing and be yourself. Don’t try to impress them with thousands of facts about all your accomplishments and why you’re so great.  This isn’t a job interviews or speed dating.  Handing out your resume through bus banter won’t help you make friends.  

We constantly hear advice about taking advantage of all the opportunities Duke offers you on campus, but take advantage of the people here too (to those with dirty minds: no, not in that way). Duke students are some of the most interesting and talented young adults in the country, and every person you meet here can teach you something.  Don’t let the Freshman 5 scare you away from having a conversation on the bus.  Everyone here is just as eager to meet new people as you are—start talking!

Photo cred: 1

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major