Freshman Guide: What You Need to Know About O-Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

You’ve been accepted to the best (ahem) university in the world and you’re all ready to get settled in. This time, when people say, “Welcome to Duke!” you know you’re here to stay. Before you find yourself stressing over your first papers and exams, Duke has given you a whole week, dubbed “Orientation Welcome Week”, to let you introduce yourself to your surroundings and meet new people. We like to call this “O-week.”

O-week is the perfect time to start with a clean slate and try new things. But trying to find your way among all the new activities and faces can seem like a lot of pressure, and it can be easy to lose yourself in the flurry of activity.

The more you are yourself, the more you will attract people who like you for you. Don’t put on any false pretenses to try and impress people, because the people worth impressing will be impressed anyway! With that being said, don’t limit your interactions. You never know, that girl you strike up a conversation with at the Marketplace may end up being one of your best friends.

I asked some sophomore girls to weigh in on their experiences last year and share some of their best advice about O-Week too. Here’s what they had to say:

• “Do your best to start off on the right foot with your roommate. You don’t have to be best friends from day one, but being friendly with her makes it easier to make friends and have people to go to the O-week activities with.” –Karmyn

• “O-Week is all about making as many friends as possible! I remember wandering around my dorm, sticking my head into rooms and introducing myself. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there! Everyone else is in the same boat as you. I would also say to make friends with your FAC. They could end up introducing you to their friends, and are obviously just a great resource in general to answer questions and guide you through O-Week.” –Paige

• “Don’t go to sleep early! Take advantage of meeting people at night, even if it means not sleeping much during O-Week.” –Lauren

Lauren’s right. Sleep when you’re dead! After a long day of unpacking, FAC meetings, and presentations, everyone is looking to hang out and meet new people at night. It’s the perfect time for you and your roommate to introduce yourself to your hall-mates too. You’ll want to take advantage of all the time you have during O-Week.

• “Remember that this can be a completely new beginning! For example, if you were shy or something in high school, this is your chance to be outgoing. I’d suggest even making a list of characteristics and values that you would want to stick to no matter what, and then go about and explore.” –Reem

• “The organized stuff is fun to go to but don’t sweat it if you miss an event to hang out with new friends-it may be worth it! Make sure not to miss the commencement address and your academic advisor meeting.” –Carie

Your FAC will let you know what is mandatory and important to attend during O-Week and what’s not. Definitely try to make the events that sound interesting to you. There are even extra options like a Faculty Outing (link) But like Carie said, don’t feel pressured to attend every single thing on the schedule. It will become overwhelming and mundane- you’re better off exploring campus and meeting new people!

• “Don’t feel pressured into thinking that your O-Week has to follow a certain model or set standard. And don’t do something just because you think you should. I promise there are plenty of people at Duke who are interested in the same things as you! But at the same time, take some risks and try to venture outside of what you’re 100% comfortable with because you could find something really fun. It’s all about striking a balance!” –Elisa

• “Go out of your comfort zone! Some of the random people I invited to go out one night ended up being some of my closest friends.” –Leigh

Going outside of your comfort zone is key during O-Week. It may be awkward at times, but putting yourself out there will pay off- trust me! The people you will be surrounded by for the next four years will make your Duke experience unique and engaging. Take the time to introduce yourself to your fellow classmates; try to break past those boring, surface questions everyone will be asking like: “Hi, what’s your name? Where are you from? What’s your major?”

Another sophomore agrees. She says:

• “Don’t be scared to go up to random people and start a conversation.
It’s your first week in a new place; you may be a little shy or nervous, but so is everyone else! Oh and take advantage of the free time. There’s a reason Duke doesn’t start classes right away… use your free time to meet people, explore the campus, etc.” –Divya

• “JOIN THINGS! Try as many things as you can- upperclassmen really want you to get involved and it’s the perfect way to feel connected to your school and meet awesome people from day one!” –Christine

Whatever you are interested in, chances are Duke has it. And, if not, Duke will give you the means to start it! Christine is absolutely right about making the effort to join different things, it’s the perfect way to get to know people and also expand your passions and interests. But don’t feel compelled to sign up for every little thing that catches your eye, as well as the random listservs. Unless you are really interested, say “no, thanks”- otherwise you’ll be getting emails for the rest of the year.

Looking back on my freshman O-Week experience last year, it all seems like a blur. A full week ahead of you may seem like a long time now, but before you know it you’ll be anxiously arriving to your first class thirty minutes early (or was that just me?). It’s important to make your O-Week count; now’s the time to put your best foot forward and before all the responsibility starts kicking in. Have fun, don’t stress, and be yourself- everything else will come naturally.

Image/Photo Source:
Photo 1
Photo 2

My name is Sarah Haas and I am a sophomore at Duke University just tryin' to figure it all out! I'm from a small town in North Carolina called Granite Falls, right in the heart of the piedmont of the Appalachian Mountains. I'm passionate about social justice, gender equality, volunteerism, and the pursuit of a good cup of coffee. I love to read and write- with a special interest in poetry- and I'm always updating a blog or social media site- so, I love being a part of Her Campus!
Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).