Fashion Spotlight: Meaghan Li

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Photo Credit: Felix Wibergh

Meaghan Li (Class of 2015) is the founder of Duke Fashion Exchange, a popular Facebook group which allows members to buy and sell new and used pieces of clothing. This trend-setting sophomore from Auckland, New Zealand tells me how she started Duke Fashion Exchange and shares her style tips!

1. What inspired you to create Duke Fashion Exchange? Is it what you imagined it to be?

In freshman year, I noticed on my Facebook feed that my friends back home in New Zealand were joining fashion exchange groups en masse. There were variations for shoes, for accessories, for electronics, for iPhone accessories, and even for event tickets. I realized that this form of exchange, which requires minimal amounts of time and effort, was perfect for the hectic lifestyle of the typical Duke Student. After a few months, the group now has 800 members and students are visiting my dorm daily to try my clothing on! I never expected it to grow at such a staggering rate.

1. How would you describe your personal style?

I love spending my free time stalking fashion blogs. Many people don’t grasp how heavily fashion is influenced by and intertwined with culture, history, and visual art. I’d describe my style as eclectic; it changes constantly. At the moment, my wardrobe is stocked with tomboyish, vintage 90’s grunge pieces.

1. What are your favorite stores? Fashion designers/icons?

I do 90% of my shopping online. My favorite store would be Nasty Gal; their founder is a natural entrepreneur who understands which up-and-coming trends will appeal to her customers. I love Australian designers such as Sass and Bide, and Shakuhachi; all of their designs are heavily influenced by geometry and graphic design. My fashion icon runs a blog named “Love Aesthetics.” Her style is incredibly modern, minimalistic, and innovative.

1. Favorite item of clothing? Favorite accessory?

My favorite piece of clothing is a denim shirt that I purchased off eBay. I love the oversized fit and the printed velvet panel. It only cost $2! My favorite accessory is a set of Cheap Monday rings, each of which is in a different geometric shape.

1. Are you involved in any other fashion groups on campus? Off campus?

I have joined DMIX Magazine as a stylist for their fashion features. When I was still living in New Zealand, I would forage around thrift stores and flea markets and resell the pieces online. I loved the challenge of it (not to mention the profits!), and I’m hoping to expand this into a start-up over summer break this year.

1. Do you think Duke Fashion Exchange is getting people more interested in fashion? What do you think about Duke students’ fashion generally?

I would characterize the style of Duke students as very casual and sporty. It’s an interesting contrast; in Auckland, male and female students alike vie to be the hippest, edgiest, and trendiest person on campus. Duke students seem to value basic, staple pieces; brands such as North Face and Longchamp are ubiquitous here. I hope that the Duke Fashion Exchange will offer students an opportunity to experiment with new styles.

1. What is a style tip that you can share?

Fashion is a tool of personal branding. Clothing doesn’t just serve the purpose of keeping you warm and comfortable; your style can serve as a projection of your personality and cultural interests.

1. What was your favorite purchase from Duke Fashion Exchange? The item you were most sad to let go of?

I owned a chiffon water-coloured dress that I regret selling now, as it was one of my favorite pieces and there were several special memories attached to it. I have just purchased a yellow ombre chiffon dress. I’ve acquainted myself with so many awesome, like-minded [people] through meeting them to exchange our clothing!

Check out the Duke Fashion Exchange page!