Fall For These Fall Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Fall break is now sadly over and like most of you, I left Durham to indulge in complete freedom and therefore fled to the glamorous NYC. If there’s one thing that all visitors should take back from New York City, it’s the laidback, effortless, but chic style that I saw many city girls sporting. 

Below are the five steps to nailing that cool NYC style. You could wear these trends separately, or assemble them together to rock the perfect fall look.

1.) Ponytail: It looks like it’s super easy to make, and it is, but there is a catch! Tease the front of your hair to get volume. The ponies I saw were not the sleek, gelled back ones you often see on runways; they were messy and voluminous, and they looked good.

2.) Sunglasses: round shaped, bold colored sunglasses are super in! If your face shape prohibits you from being able to pull those off, try any other large ones with solid color frames (blue, red, purple…). You might think it’s something you were into when you were 14, but color is great on bold shades – especially for the fall!

3.) Camel-colored Coats: super trendy. They’re big, comfortable, warm… Pull on a pair of skinny jeans and a sweater and finish your outfit off with a thick camel-colored coat!

4.) Boots: Ankle boots are all the rage. Wear them with jeans, skirts, dresses, pants… With socks or tights… They’re so easy to wear. They go with everything – perfect fall shoes.

5.) Statement Lipstick: try a bold color like orange, red, dark red, or plum. The shimmery, pale, pastel lipsticks and glosses were a spring staple. Today, make up artists are promoting a smokey eye with a deep red lip – dark on dark. The trend is reflected on the girls of NYC. Keep in mind, you don’t need an occasion to wear lipstick, so be confident and add a pop of color to your lips during the day. Bold lips are a must-wear this fall!

Image Source: 1

From Almaty, Kazakhstan. Duke University student.
Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major