Duke Smart Women Securities (SWS)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Ever wanted to learn how to invest? Think you could be a stock market whiz? Too afraid to try it on your own? Look no further! Right here on Duke University’s campus, you can get personal training to put you firmly in the driver’s seat of your personal finances. Smart Women Securities, a national organization, opened a chapter here at Duke in January 2011, and they are the answer to all of your investment needs.

Smart Women Securities (SWS) is a not-for-profit organization that seeks to educate collegiate women about participating in the financial markets through direct investment experience. Through mentoring, learning, and actual investing, Duke SWS helps undergrads on campus learn the skills and gain the training needed to successfully and responsibly invest in the future. Duke SWS is looking to educate all women in responsible financing, so you don’t have to be an economics major to get involved!

As of Spring 2011, SWS operates 14 chapters at Boston College, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Fordham, Georgetown, Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, Princeton, University of Virginia, and Yale. We should be proud that our university features one of the few female-only investment groups in the nation.

Since their campus debut in January, SWS has offered several training seminars to provide our undergrad women hands-on training and experience. The next seminar hosted by SWS is on October 22nd in Social Sciences 136 at 11 a.m. It will cover Understanding Financial Statements II. If you’re already a savvy investor, SWS is also hosting an investment competition!

Be sure to friend Duke SWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/DukeSWS
You can also follow their blog! http://dukesmartwomansecurities.blogspot.com/view/magazine

Photo Sources: SWS Blog and SWS National Website

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).