Dorm Room Décor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Everyone knows that split second panic that happens when you walk into your dorm room for the first time as a freshman. “It’s just too small,” you say. Your parents think it’s cute and, as they claim, “nicer than the dorm room I had when I was a kid!” But your insides are doing somersaults; where are you going to fit all your stuff?

Don’t worry- we’ll help! Closet 101: How to fit your clothes in the teeniest excuse of a closet.

Try an adjustable closet rod, like this one from The Container Store:

This allows you to take advantage of the space below your hanging clothes- double the room, double the amount of clothing you can hang!

And, if that still doesn’t give you enough space, try hanging shelves, like these from Target:

These shelves provide you with extra storage space that can look cute, too! They come in different colors, such as lime green, blue, and the ever-dependable black. They conveniently hang on the bar in your closet, allowing for easy access. 

Fitting most of your stuff into your closet is most important in maximizing your dorm room space. The more you can put away, the more room you’ll have for activities and cute decorations.

For the upcoming month, don’t forget to decorate for Halloween! Now that you have all that extra space, put it to good use with some fancy lights or jack-o-lanterns to give your room a spooky glow! Good luck!

Adjustable rod photo source: containerstore.com
Hanging shelves photo source: target.com

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.