Bursting the Duke Bubble: Why You Should Get off Campus Once in a While

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Duke students live in a bubble. And even though it’s a nice, gothic, well maintained bubble complete with attractive young people and accomplished faculty, you really should burst free every once in a while. It’s easy to become isolated from reality on a campus when everything you need is no more than a mile or so away. Getting away from Duke occasionally can help you de-stress, have some fun, and change your perspective. Plus, I think seeing babies, old people, and animals on a regular basis is good for the soul. Here are a few places to explore when life in the bubble starts to feel overwhelming.

Eno River State Park  

The Eno River State Park is a nearly 4,000-acre park only about fifteen minutes from west campus. According to the NC Parks website, the park “offers secluded wilderness trails with the serenity of a clear river drifting and cascading over a rocky stream bed.” I’m sold. Sounds like a nice way to spend a fall Saturday afternoon!

Southpoint Mall
Southpoint is another perfect outing on a fall day. Not only is it somewhere to buy lots of cozy sweaters, it’s also a place where you can walk around outside, drink a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte and watch people. The mall also has a movie theatre and plenty of restaurants. Even though it’s only twenty minutes away by car, an afternoon trip to Southpoint can feel like a mini vacation.

Guglhupf/Fosters
Guglhupf and Fosters are really two separate brunch/lunch spots in Durham, but they’re equally delicious and right next door to each other. Guglhupf is a German bakery with great breakfast and sandwich options, and a cozy artsy atmosphere. They also give you little cookies with your coffee. Next door, Fosters also has an extensive menu of tasty breakfast and lunch foods, including the world’s most delicious French toast. On a nice fall day, sitting on the Fosters patio in an Adirondack chair is the great way to relax.

The American Tobacco Campus
The American Tobacco Campus has great restaurant options, and its relatively close by. The restaurants, which are actually remodeled tobacco warehouses, all face a central patio area with fountains and water sculptures. The Tobacco Campus is in the center of downtown Durham, right next to the Durham Bulls Stadium and the Durham Performing Arts Center.

DefyGravity

DefyGravity is a massive trampoline sports arena twenty minutes away from Duke’s campus. What could be more fun and stress relieving then jumping on a 13,000 square foot trampoline? They even have angled trampolines on the walls, which allow you to jump in all directions. Perkins and Marketplace don’t really compare to this trampoline heaven, the self proclaimed “most unique and exhilarating atmosphere” in the Triangle.

As college students, our social and academic lives revolve around campus. That’s not necessarily bad; Duke has a pretty great campus. But every once in a while, separating from school, both physically and mentally, can be good for us. An afternoon hike, some delicious French toast, or an hour on a trampoline can help put things in perspective and reenergize us for the week ahead. Bubble life is pretty good, but sometimes bursting free is better.

Sources:

Article Source 1

Article Source 2

Photo Source 1

Photo Source 2

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).