Bundle Up! Cute Outerwear for the Incoming Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

The Fur Vest
The opulent fur vest has really come into style this season! Celebrate the drop in temperatures with the swanky style; dress it up or dress it down. It’ll make your casual jeans-and-a-tee-shirt outfit look hot, and your cocktail dress look hotter.

Especially in places like North Carolina, where winter wear is more for show than for warmth, the fur vest is perfect. Wear it all winter long, during the chilly mornings and nights and during the warmer midday period. For those of you who don’t wear fur, faux fur is another option. You look like a million bucks, and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

photo credit: http://www.philadelphiasweetsixteen.com/2011/08/teen-trends-back-to-school-styles-this-fall/

The Wool Coat
Turn your frumpy college student look into a sophisticated businesswoman look with only one wardrobe change: the wool coat. This timeless staple polishes off any outfit and makes it look refined.

To get a bit wild with such a classic piece, buy one with a belt, embellishments, or in a color other than black or grey. It’ll look flawless on you regardless!

photo credit: www.bloomingdales.com

The Down Coat
For those of us that hail from sunny Florida or other warm-weather areas, Duke’s winter weather can be a bit daunting. Try a plush down coat for some added warmth on those chilly mornings.

This year, many companies have created down coats with a bit of pizzazz. Think about shopping color: pink, blue, green, red, or any tone makes the casual down coat a bit more exciting. Also consider a coat with a fancy fur hood or belt to dress it up.

Scarves and Accessories
This season’s hottest accessories have been revitalized and now come in all sorts of vibrant hues and sumptuous textures. When you’re shopping for winter accessories, don’t limit yourself! Try a color block hat, patterned scarves, or a knit headband that shields your ears from nipping winds.

The hottest trend, in my opinion, is the fingerless glove trend that is sweeping the nation. They come in all sorts of patterns and colors, which is awesome. However, more importantly than that, you can text with them on! You can send your precious text messages without freezing your hands off in inclement weather! What a genius invention!

photo credit: www.target.com

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).