Best Films for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It may only be November, but stores are already putting up lights and sending you twenty unwanted emails a day about ‘the perfect gift.’ Even Duke is getting into the Christmas spirit! When I was sitting in ABP yesterday (eating soup out of my red Christmas-themed cup) I heard my personal favorite Christmas song start playing, ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.’ Once you start listening to Christmas music, it’s hard to get thoughts of Christmas out of your head. So just embrace it and all the good things that come with the holiday season. With finals coming up and the cold weather, all you want to do is curl up with hot chocolate and watch films. So here are the five movies that will get you through the holiday season to Boxing Day.

A Christmas Carol

You can’t have Christmas without this Dickens’ classic. Who doesn’t love a good story about the true meaning of Christmas? If you are one of the few people who haven’t seen it before, then you have definitely seen a TV show’s Christmas special based off of the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future and miserly, old Scrooge. While it may be better as a play, the chances of you planning to go to the theatre are much lower than randomly putting it on TV. Also, there will be absolutely no need to rent it because just about every network has its own TV movie version, and you’re going to enjoy the tale whether it’s TNT’s version or the new Jim Carrey one.

Frosty the Snowman

You may not have seen it in a few years, but nothing will remind you more of Christmas as a child than this film. Nothing will make you want a white Christmas more than watching Frosty sing and dance. You may no longer believe your snowman is going to come to life, but the movie will bring back a little bit of the magic of Christmas. 

Love Actually

Sometimes you just need a good romcom no matter what the season.  ‘Love Actually,’ unlike ‘New Years Eve’ and ‘Valentines Day,’ accomplishes that as a cute movie with an ensemble cast and several intertwining plots. You are bound to like one of them. By the end of the film you’re going to want to move to the UK (if you didn’t already) after hearing all the British accents.

Meet Me in St Louis

‘Meet Me in St Louis’ has the best Christmas song, the one that inspired this list, ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.’ The film is worth watching just for that scene, as Judy Garland sings on the verge tears, which I don’t think I’ve ever made it through without being on the verge of tears too (you might not cry though… most people probably aren’t as sappy as me).  

It’s a Wonderful Life

Finally, the last film I watch every year on Christmas day is ‘It’s a Wonderful Life.’ If you only watch one Christmas film, this should be it. You don’t have to celebrate Christmas to enjoy this film. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. Just like ‘A Christmas Carol,’ if you haven’t seen this film, you will have watched a TV Christmas special based off of this, and you will have certainly heard the line: ‘every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.’  So watch it. You will not regret it!

Photos: 1 2 3 4 5

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).