This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Many of you probably spent a good part of winter break in bed. Finals week tends to be full of all-nighters, making winter break the perfect time to catch up on the beauty rest we have been deprived of for so long.

Most teachers will stress the importance of sleep the night before a big test. If you’ve taken Physics 53 you’ve probably received an email recommending you be in bed by midnight. Or in PubPol 55, you may have heard that two nights before a test is the most important time to get a good night’s sleep. Although getting lots of rest is great advice, most people skip the sleep to cram in a few more concepts for the test. Getting your beauty rest will not only improve your test performance, it will also allow you to look your best!

Your brain needs sleep. It works hard all day and needs some time off at night. The cortex, which is in charge of thinking, speech, and memory, needs an adequate amount of sleep in order to function properly. One of the most important things to avoid is aphasia. Aphasia can occur from a lack of sleep and will impair one’s ability to remember words. Keeping your memory as alert as possible is crucial for test-taking. So, try listening to your professor’s advice, and get at least eight hours of sleep in order to do your best.

A recent study found in the British Medical Journal found that getting your beauty sleep really does make you more attractive. After comparing pictures of those who got eight hours of sleep to those who stayed awake for 31 hours, they found that “Sleep deprived people are perceived as less attractive, less healthy and more tired compared with when they are well rested.”Not only will your brain thank you, so will the rest of your body! An average of eight hours a night will leave you feeling your best and looking great.

Photo source: 
http://static.customizedgirl.com/images/design/437b30a52927a131bf7269cf6…

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.