The Amigas Come to Barca!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

One of the best parts of being abroad in Spain is my proximity to the dozens (maybe even hundreds?) of other Blue Devils in Europe. I’ve booked trips to visit friends all over, but I was thrilled to have my first guests here in Barcelona this past weekend. We had a great time – I took them to my favorite sites in Barca, and we discovered a few awesome new places together too.

While I was showing the girls around, Barcelona totally felt like my home… it was an awesome feeling! It was so easy to get into a comfortable routine here between going to class and shopping for groceries, but I didn’t realize exactly how comfortable I was until I was walking them down the streets like I owned the place.

Mis amigas decided to practice a bit of their Spanish on the way into town, so they asked their taxi driver where they could find the tastiest Spanish cuisine. He told us to try out any of the restaurants at Port Olimpico, right on the water. I hadn’t made it out there myself, and quite honestly I hadn’t been excited by Spanish cuisine just yet, so this recommendation was awesome. We had the tastiest paella and fell in love with our hilariously fun waiters, Vladimir and Xavi. I already can’t wait to go back!

By day, we saw everything from Gaudí’s architectural masterpieces to a panoramic view of the city, and by night we drank sangria and went to some of Barcelona’s greatest clubs. Almost has you wanting to visit, doesn’t it?

Besos from Barca,
Ashley

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).