Accenting Your Assets: How to Pick the Right Bra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

You’ve been wearing bras since you hit puberty in middle school. We understand. But, are you wearing the right bra to accent your, ahem, assets? If you aren’t, you may look smaller, larger, or simply wrong up there. Websites have estimated that more than 50% of women are wearing the incorrect size to support their breasts. We’ve come up with a guide that can help you to check out that area, and make sure that you’re displaying your girls in the best way possible!Remember, though, trying it on is better than any other system anyone can offer you. You know best about how something feels on your chest—you don’t want to be wearing something uncomfortable all day, every day! 

Finding the right band size:
            There’s no set system to pick the best band size for you, but there are some methods that can help you do the best possible job gauging your size. In order to measure the band size, you’re going to need someone else to help. Ask a friend, parent, or anyone to measure around your chest with a measuring tape. The tape should rest just under your breasts, and go all the way around your back. 
Make sure that the tape measure is flat, and goes straight across your back with no twists.

Take that measurement, and add 2-3 inches to it. If you end up with an odd number, round up to the next even number. Bras usually come in only even sizes. Don’t worry if this number is slightly off in either direction, since most bras are elasticized. Remember, though, that if it isn’t tight enough, it’ll be ineffective. If it rides up on your back, it’s definitely too big!

Finding the right cup size:
            Ask someone measure you again. This time, the measuring tape should sit on top of the fullest (largest) part of your breasts. If you own a well-fitting, not padded bra, you can measure your chest with this bra on. Remember that if the bra is too small, it will flatten your breasts. If it’s too padded, it will make you appear larger than you are. Either way, the measurement will come out wrong. If you aren’t sure about the bra, just measure your chest without wearing one.

Write down this number, and then find the difference between this number and the band size number that you calculated. Use the chart below to figure out your cup size based on the difference between the two numbers you found earlier. 

This chart is helpful in figuring out your cup size, but you also need to pay attention to things other than the numbers. Keep in mind that a 34A bra does not have the same volume as a 36A or a 38A. Similarly, a 30D bra doesn’t have the same volume as a 36D; the 36D is a much larger cup. So, if you try on one and the cup size fits but the band is too loose, if you decrease in band size, you may need to increase the cup size to keep the same volume across your breasts.

Remember that the fit is much more important than any number printed on a tag. You have to try the bra on; it doesn’t matter what the tape measure says! If your bra is painful or uncomfortable, it’s the wrong one for you!

Photo Sources:
www.allwomenstalk.com
www.luckymag.com
www.wilsonandhowe.com
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/4780275/2/stock-photo-4780275-tape-measure-on-white.jpg

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.