6 Secret Spruce Ups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Want to add an extra something to your space? Whether you live in an apartment or a dorm room, these easy do-it-yourself crafts will accent any living space. The crafts are so simple, easy, and affordable; there is no excuse not to add life and color to your quarters.

Art?

Framing wrapping paper is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to add “art” to plain, dull walls. You don’t have to be particularly crafty to create these pieces either! Simply pick out a pattern that fits your style and a frame, then measure the dimensions and cut the paper to fit within the corners of the frame. No one will know it’s store bought!

Beautiful Backgrounds

Wrapping paper can also be used to line drawers and bookcases. Bored of plain, wooden shelves? Accent them with wrapping paper to add more color and patterns to your decor. Carefully measure the backside of each shelf or the bottom of drawers, paying special attention to the corners! Then, cut the wrapping paper with respect to the dimensions you previously measured and attach to desired space with double-sided tap. It is just so simple!

Chevron, Chevron, Chevron!!

In the last two years, this triangular design has populated retail and home ware stores across the country. However, most of the time these goods are quite expensive. Don’t want to spend that much money? Why would you need to when you could make a chevron design yourself! You could paint the chevron pattern either on canvases or the backs of shoeboxes. For a basic piece, select two colors for the alternating bands. Use one of the colors to paint the base of the painting. Normally, two or three coats for the base are perfect. While the base dries, create a chevron stencil. The stencil should only be a single triangle of the chevron. The stencil is used to trace the chevron design onto canvas with a pencil, essentially replicating the stenciled triangle throughout the band with equal distance in between. After this step, use tape to cover the stenciled chevron bands, and paint the space in between each chevron brand with the other paint color. Two coats are best! Although this craft might take a little longer than most, seeing your friends gaze at your paintings in jealousy will make the effort worthwhile!

The Mason Jar Movement

Never throw away old jars again. These glass containers can be transformed into beautiful tabletop accessories. You can paint the interior or exterior of the jar, depending on your preference, and use it as a vase or a pencil cup. To take it to the next level, paint your monogram for a personalized touch! You can use glass paint, acrylic paint, puffy paint or spray paint! Want an extra touch? Place a battery-operated candle in the finished jar to light up your living space.

Place my Jewels Pretty

Want to organize your jewelry effectively and stylistically? Have an empty, vintage frame you’re not using? Put it to use! In the empty space, glue horizontal pieces of lace tightly across the frame. Make sure the lace is thick enough to hold earrings and bracelets! Then place your jewelry in the openings of the lace! Your new jewelry holder will give your apartment a unique edge.

Surround Yourself with Smiles

Forget frames and photo collages. Go bigger and better! Print larger sized photos and Modge Podge them to small canvases or pieces of cardboard. Attach ribbons to the blocks and hang them around your room. The gloss provides a shine to your photos that no frame could! Surround your space with the faces you love!

Image Sources: 1 3