5 Reasons Break at Home is a Good Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I feel like all I’ve heard the past few weeks is the plans everyone’s making for Spring Break and while I will be spending half of my week sunning at Myrtle I will definitely be spending time at home. Why, you might ask, when everyone else is going to exotic places full of exotic and adventurous things? Well I’ll tell ya.

1. I need my family

Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends. I’m going to miss them desperately over break. However, I’ve spent all of two nights at home since winter break and you don’t understand the love I have for my dog, and my parents, but especially my dog. Cookie needs me. Her tail is going to wag so hard it will probably fall off, and I can’t wait! So if you have a pet and parents, and I know you have at least one of the two, then go home and make their day because they will be a lot happier to see you than the cutie you’ll meet at Palm Beach.

2. I need to drive around my hometown.

Waiting for me at home is a teeny little two-door bright teal Miata convertible that has been calling my name since my Jack Rogers have been out of my closet. After the snowpocalypse and all the freezing cold wind we’ve had this warm weather is making me want nothing more than to spend all my time outdoors. This automatically reminds me of the long drives I would take my senior spring, when I had stopped caring about work and the weather was perfect and I would just cruise with the top down and the wind in my hair. Generic, right? Cliché, you might say but I really don’t care because in a week I’ll be doing the exact same thing. Reliving the glory days and driving till I’m out of gas. I promise after being gone for so long, exotic beaches ain’t got nothin’ on your hometown.

3. I need to see my high school friends.

Now being from North Carolina, naturally all my high school friends go to UNC but I try not to hold that against them. Regardless of their shade of blue, I do miss them occasionally. As great as my Duke friends are, it is nice to have some time back where you grew up with the people that have helped make you who you are and how often do you really get to see them? Needless to say though, I have a lot of bragging rights riding on Saturday’s game. GTHC!

4. I need to sleep.

I think we can all agree that Spring Semester is DEFINITELY the best semester. Between recruitment, mixers, date functions, new member activities, tenting and the plethora of other social events we have had little time for school work, let alone sleep. There is so much going on in our hectic lives that a week to be at home in your own bed hibernating sounds like the way to go. Besides, formal season will soon be upon us and that is a lot of weekends away, not sleeping.

5. I need to catch up.

See number four. There’s a LOT going on. This means that there are definitely a few reading assignments that I have skipped over knowing I would have this week to finish it before my papers are due and my finals begin. Therefore, in between sleeping, hugging my parents, petting my dog, driving my car, and seeing my friends, I will be frantically reading hundreds of pages of Political Science and reviewing all those French words I should be able to pronounce but absolutely cannot. So sure, some of my friends will be perfecting their skiing abilities, or have a few extra days of tan on them but I will have my work done and will be prepared for the frantic six weeks we have left which means I have more time to paint coolers and pick out formal dresses.

Sure, spring break on an incredible beach or skiing in Aspen would be incredible but I am more than happy to sacrifice some of my break time to go home and veg the freak out and if you’re going home and were feeling down about it, don’t. There is absolutely no reason NOT to go home, honestly, it’s the smarter choice. Embrace it, enjoy it! 

My name is Hayley Boling. I'm a member of Duke University Class of 2017 and I am from Winston-Salem, NC! I'm a Dancing Devil and a member of Her Campus Duke. My interests include dance, band, and overall girlyness. I'm always down for an in-depth discussion or a trip to Southpoint!
Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major