5 Perks of Joining a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

As I’m sure you all know, recruitment and bid day have come and gone, and now that wonderful period between bid day and initiation begins – AKA, the best few weeks ever! Here are five reasons why…

1. Big/Little Baskets

Many of us have begun to receive gifts from our mysterious new “Big Sisters.” Cute t-shirts with our new letters, adorable crafts with our new symbols, and gorgeous gifts in our new colors and patterns arrive in beautifully tied baskets every day. Sometimes, they are even delivered by the newest, cutest members of a favorite fraternity which is a much appreciated bonus!

2. Mixers and Date Functions

As if all the gifts weren’t enough, your social calendar also seems to suddenly fill with mixers, date functions, and bonding events! You are thrown into Greek life by attending great parties with hilarious themes that introduce you to all kinds of new people on campus. Not to mention, the always fun date functions where you ask the guy of your choice to accompany you out with your new sisters.

3. Bonding

Not only are you constantly meeting members of other Greek organizations, but you get to meet all your new sisters. Bonding events are always fun, ranging from a night of chick flicks and board games to a night out at Shooters.

4. Your Pledge Class

Suddenly, you have a whole new family – your pledge class. All the GroupMe messages might drive you crazy, but there’s no denying you love all the people with whom you can now suffer through the Marketplace or catch the C2 to section! Although you might not have all their names down yet, you already know you’re going to love these girls.

5. All Your New Sisters

From your chapter to ones across the country, you now belong to a special group of women with a tie that can never be broken. You have instantly made a couple hundred more friends that seem to make walking around campus a little more bright and friendly. The thrill you get when you see a girl on campus with your letters is the best because you know that you are friends, even if you can’t remember her name yet! This is an awesome feeling, especially if you grew up an only child.

I know I have just joined sorority life and have yet to discover all of its perks and advantages, but I have to say, so far so great – and it’ll only get better from here!

Photo Sources: 1 2 3 4

My name is Hayley Boling. I'm a member of Duke University Class of 2017 and I am from Winston-Salem, NC! I'm a Dancing Devil and a member of Her Campus Duke. My interests include dance, band, and overall girlyness. I'm always down for an in-depth discussion or a trip to Southpoint!
Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major