5 Delicious Recipes You Can Make with Just a Microwave and a Mug

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s so cold outside, and your dorm is just oh-so-far away from any dining options. Never fear – armed with ingredients from the dorm kitchen, you can prepare a fast and delicious meal for one from the comfort of your dorm room. All that is standing between you and warm food is a microwave and a mug. Below are five mouth-watering yet simple meals you can make with just these two tools.

1. Classic Mac and Cheese

Recipe: Combine 1/3 cup of pasta, 1/2 cup of water in a large mug. Microwave for six minutes, stirring every two minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of milk and ½ cup shredded cheese. Microwave for a minute, and voila.

2. Quiche

Recipe: Using a fork, beat one egg and 1.5 tablespoons of milk together in a mug. Add salt and pepper. Tear 1/4 bagel and 1/2 slice of ham into small pieces. Stir in the bagel, ham and 2 teaspoons of cream cheese. Microwave about 1 minute 10 seconds.

3. Coffee Cup Chilaquiles

Recipe: With a fork, beat one egg and 1 tablespoon of milk in a mug. Stir in salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese. Break about 4 tortilla chips into small pieces and stir into the mixture. Add salsa. Microwave about 1 minute 10 seconds. Top with 2 tortilla chips, sour cream, queso and green onion.

4. Chocolate Chip Cookie

Recipe: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the microwave. Stir in 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar, 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar and salt. Add 1 egg yolk and stir. Add 1/4 cup flour and stir. Add 2 tablespoons of semisweet chocolate chips and stir. Microwave for 1 minute.

5. Fudge S’mores Mug Cake

Okay, so this one is a bit more complicated, but just look at the result – definitely worth it!

Recipe: Combine 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 ounce of chocolate chips in a mug. Microwave for 30 seconds. In a second mug, melt 1/2 tablespoons of butter with 2 tablespoons of graham crackers and stir. Press the graham crumbs into the bottom of the mug. Wisk one egg, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Add 1/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/8 teaspoon baking powder and salt, and stir until a thick batter forms. Mix in melted butter and chocolate. Add half of the mixture on top of the graham crust, then a few marshmallows and then the remaining batter. Microwave for 2 minutes and top with additional marshmallow.

Photo Sources: 1 2 3 4 5

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major