etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Voting on Campus is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Voting is a fundamental right that people have fought for throughout history. From the suffragette movement to the most recent presidential election in 2016, voting has played an influential role in both the public sphere and the personal lives of many. But, in addition to its place on a national level, voting and government are also present on college campuses all around the country.

Sophomore, Amelia Schooley, speaks on the importance of voting. “Voting is important because it’s a privilege to be able to make a change,” Schooley said. “Voting is key to make change, especially if you have something you stand for.” In addition to the concept of voting, Schooley states why student government is present on campus in the first place. “I think student government exists because it’s important to ensure a happy school environment,” Schooley said. “Student government allows for voices on campus to be heard.

For many, they have either been involved or voted in a student election, and sophomore Cat Howley shares her perception of student government. “I know they support the clubs and club sports financially and otherwise,” Howley said. “But, besides that, I don’t know too much about what they do around campus.”

Whether or not people are aware of the exact role student government plays, voting is consistently present on campus. Freshman, Karly Bruss, explains why she believes voting in student elections are so important. “It is the student’s opinion and if the whole student body wants a voice for them, they should all vote for that voice so it can be best expressed to whoever will be listening,” Bruss said. “It is our voice as one person and if it is someone we don’t agree upon then the person could mess up a lot of things for the students.

But, while voting does play an influential role, many students still don’t take part. Schooley discusses why she believes some students may not vote in the campus elections. “I think some people might feel like they don’t know what they are talking about or feel nervous about the power of voting,” Schooley said. “All it takes is a little bit of effort to see what you are dealing with.

Voting on campus allows students to have a chance of being a part of the election process on a smaller level. So, while campus voting does not hold the same weight as a national election Bruss speaks on the potential habits that can be formed through student voting involvement.

I think that in college, since you don’t have to vote, but you’re given the option to, it’s good to encourage people so that they get used to just watch out for that in the future,” Bruss said. “If people get in the habit of annually looking out for elections, they will do that when they are out of college too. It can make habits that result in people standing up for the ideals they believe in and give them the confidence to follow through.

I am a freshman at the University of Denver studying International Relations and Journalism. I enjoy writing, traveling, and volunteering on and off campus. I think it is very important to spread knowledge on current issues that may not always be discussed, which is what I believe Her Campus helps promote.